Main Menu

E-Body disc brake spindle swap

Started by Ramman, August 31, 2022, 06:25:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ramman

Many years ago I remember reading about swapping the disc brake spindles on a E-body with ones from a later 70's
Charger or comprable. The idea was to switch from pin style calipers to a later style. I believe it also added a few degrees of camber which the Moog problem solver offset bushings address. Any benefits to this swap? Does anyone remember the article? Anything I should beware of?
Thanks!

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

miketyler

I have the conversion setup including spindles and caliper brackets if you're interested. I'm going with an RMS front end

autoxcuda

Quote from: Ramman on August 31, 2022, 06:25:17 AM
Many years ago I remember reading about swapping the disc brake spindles on a E-body with ones from a later 70's
Charger or comprable. The idea was to switch from pin style calipers to a later style. I believe it also added a few degrees of camber which the Moog problem solver offset bushings address. Any benefits to this swap? Does anyone remember the article? Anything I should beware of?
Thanks!

The switch from Pin Type to Slider (later) type is independent of the spindle. That's a function of the caliper adapter that bolts onto the spindle with two bolts. But commonly caliper adapters are sold with used spindles.

70-72 E-body (& 70-72 B-body) 10.75" disk brakes have a unique Rotor and corresponding unique Spindle with a smaller than 73-up inner bearing. Those all were pin type caliper originally.

73-74 E-body and 73-76 A-body have the same exact spindle with larger inner bearing. The 10.75" rotor that goes with that spindle is very plentiful and inexpensive and used on most rwd mopar cars from 1973 to 1989. The 73-74 E-body got pin type calipers and caliper adapters. The 73-76 got slider calipers and caliper adapters.

The "later Charger spindle" you mention is 3/8" taller than the E-body spindle. It was used in 73-up B-bodies and all F/M/J-bodies (Volare, Diplomat, etc). It will give you the same static alignment specs as the stock E-body spindle. But due to geometry there can a slight camber gain when the car leans over in corners.

* in some mid 70's B-body police cars and larger B-bodies, they had 11.75" rotors and corresponding unique slider caliper adapter or pin caliper adapters. www.DrDiff.com sells new caliper adapters. The 11.75" are fairly inexpensive.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...