Main Menu

Measuring for V belts

Started by Daveh, May 11, 2018, 10:15:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

Now that the engine and all accessories are in I need to get new belts.  Everything has changed so much that the old ones don't line up any longer.  What is the best was to measure?  I'm thinking take a string and measure where it needs to be?  I really don't know.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks

Dave

shawge

I put the adjustable accessories (alt, ps pump) near to where they are closest to the engine and used a string.  Took that to the parts store and had them find belts that were close.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Daveh

I was actually thinking of using a piece of 5/16" tubing.  Figuring it was a little closer to an actual belt.

Burdar

What I did was cut and old, really long belt so it was one long piece.  Then I just wrapped that around the accessories to get my measurement.  I made sure the accessories were in the middle of their adjustment when measuring.

A really long lawnmower belt would work for this purpose.  Just make sure you get one that fits into the pulley grooves nicely.

Daveh

Brads70

I have a bunch of old belts hanging on a nail just for doing this. Great idea on the mower belt Darren!  :bradsthumb:

RUNCHARGER

I've run a tape measure around them as well.
Sheldon