Main Menu

Belts wearing out

Started by soundcontrol, September 02, 2020, 05:55:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soundcontrol

My alternator/AC belts keeps slacking, even though I adjust it often, now it's reached the end adjustment.
And I just noticed that the reason it does so, is that the grooves in the crank pulley got very rusty (with pits) during 33 years of storage,
so the fan belts are slowly wearing out. Can I fix the pulley, and how?

Rich G.

I don't think the pits are wearing the belts out unless the groove is very sharp. Is that the A/C with 2 belts? Back in my part store day they sold belts for that in a matched set so one belt wouldn't be longer then the other. You'd be surprised the difference between 2 different belts. Are you sure they aren't just new and stretched?

soundcontrol

Quote from: Rich G. on September 02, 2020, 08:41:27 AM
I don't think the pits are wearing the belts out unless the groove is very sharp. Is that the A/C with 2 belts? Back in my part store day they sold belts for that in a matched set so one belt wouldn't be longer then the other. You'd be surprised the difference between 2 different belts. Are you sure they aren't just new and stretched?

Belts are new, a few months now. Yep, AC with 2 belts. I can see black rubber grindings on the inner fender...
And they are lined up good.
Alternator is new now, and I could clean the AC clutch off pretty good, still very much rust in the grooves on the pulley, gotta be that rust that eats the belts.

JonH

Oh yea...I would pull them off, sand and paint. Of coarse if you run it enough they will clean themselves. Might take several sets of belts though...

Rich G.

Wow I thought you cleaned it up and just had pits!

soundcontrol

Quote from: Rich G. on September 02, 2020, 11:42:16 AM
Wow I thought you cleaned it up and just had pits!

Thats what I should have done!  :(