Main Menu

Mini starter drive tooth count

Started by Mrbill426, September 07, 2021, 08:07:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am looking at getting a mini starter instead of the OEM style and have a question.  I am seeing 9 and 10 tooth starter drives, so for a small block with a 727 which one is correct?

Thanks!

Filthy Filbert

As far as I know, the tooth pitch is all the same.  Not sure why they have a different tooth count options...

I used a mini-starter from a Dakota V6 truck that had a 143 tooth cast flywheel, and the starter worked fine on a 130tooth flywheel on a big block with a lakewood bell housing.

Mrbill426

@Filthy Filbert thanks.  Seems like something would have to "give" for either tooth count to work on the same ring gear... more teeth = larger pinion = different housing offset?  Am I over-thinking this?

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on September 07, 2021, 08:33:05 AM
As far as I know, the tooth pitch is all the same.  Not sure why they have a different tooth count options...

I used a mini-starter from a Dakota V6 truck that had a 143 tooth cast flywheel, and the starter worked fine on a 130tooth flywheel on a big block with a lakewood bell housing.

Filthy Filbert

Same tooth pitch, different diameters.   the individual teeth are the same size, with the same angles.  but there's more or less teeth around the OD.    If one has 9 teeth, it'll just be a smaller diameter gear than a 10 tooth starter.   same as the 130 tooth vs 143 tooth flywheel.

Now...what I don't know, is starter mount location on the bell housing, and if the 9 tooth vs 10 tooth matters for that.

Mrbill426

Turns out it is a 10 tooth drive gear; I ordered a mini starter to pick up tomorrow.

@Filthy Filbert thanks!  :bigthumb:

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on September 07, 2021, 10:07:55 AM
Same tooth pitch, different diameters.   the individual teeth are the same size, with the same angles.  but there's more or less teeth around the OD.    If one has 9 teeth, it'll just be a smaller diameter gear than a 10 tooth starter.   same as the 130 tooth vs 143 tooth flywheel.

Now...what I don't know, is starter mount location on the bell housing, and if the 9 tooth vs 10 tooth matters for that.