Main Menu

My A518 overhaul

Started by chargerdon, November 04, 2019, 04:05:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Katfish

Nice, it will all be worth it when your cruising at 70mph and only 2500rpm.

Cudajason

Nice. Glad you got it working.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

chargerdon

Ok, got the wires hooked up (temporary) to a toggle switch.   Good news and bad news...

First the good, the overdrive works !!   Had wheels jacked up off the ground, got car in D up to 50 mph (around 2300-2500 rpm) hit the switch for the overdrive and at first nothing...then about 2 2/12 seconds later overdrive engaged and speedo jumped up to about 65 mph !!     Great then let it slow back down to 50 and set the wire for the torque converter, i know it electrically hooked as there was a slight spark at the wheel...but...nothing...No locking torque converter.   Tried several times and same results.   

(ps, measuring resistance on the torque converter wire to ground and get about 30-33 ohms...just as it should be)

Took car out for a drive, and at 50 mph hit toggle switch...it takes a good 1 to 3 seconds, but, then you can feel it engage, and rpms on road drop to around 1800-2000 at 50, and if i speed up to 65, rpms right around 2500...    Disengage the overdrive, and rpms jump back up about 500-600...    I left the overdrive switch on, and slowed to around 20 making right hand turn, and hit the gas, and more than enough power to accelerate normally...   So, i think i can leave the overdrive engaged from 30 mph up.    Results consistent, in that it is a little slow to engage...between 1 to 2+ seconds but it works!!  Engaged, it did seem to negate the part throttle kick down... 

Wish the locking torque converter would work, but, going to hook up the wire to same switch as overdrive and maybe over time it will start to work as well.   If not....oh well...   not going to do anything more for a while.   Bought the torque converter from Torco in Ca, think ill give them a call and have them check their records as to the locking feature...   Maybe they sent the wrong one...   

1 Wild R/T

The locking T/C probably does work.. But on jack stands theres no load on the convertor so no slippage....

chargerdon

Hey...thanks...good point...will try again towmorrow.   Does it hurt anything to hook both the TC and Overdrive wires to same toggle switch so that they both engage together?  Or should they be separate, and if so, TC first then OD...  or OD first then TC ?

Katfish

You want the OD to engage first, then lock-up after.
It's like having a 4.5 speed tranny, my RPMs drop another 200-300 rpm.
So the lock-up eliminates the ~5-7% slippage.

chargerdon

You guys are spot on.    On the road the locking torque converter does indeed lock up !!!   Drops RPM another 200-300 Rpm !! 

Wow...   now all i got to do is swap out that shifter (sourced one thanks to a member on here)...   Yippee...tired on working on it, and time to start driving it !!

1 Wild R/T

Awesome!!!  What gear are you currently running?

chargerdon

3.23 suregrip and 14" wheels...  So that A518 will make cruising so much better !