Main Menu

drive shaft for a518

Started by chargerdon, October 04, 2019, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

I plan on putting an a518 overdrive in my 74 challenger this fall/winter.    I would like to "save" my driveshaft rather than have it cut down to fit so that if needed...i could swap back in a 727.   

I live close to a u-pull it salvage yard.   Can somebody suggest a vehicle to pull a drive shaft to be modified for this conversion???   They usually have plenty of dodge ram's, dakota's, durango's etc to look at. 

1 Wild R/T

Easiest thing is to get an older driveshaft that uses normal Ujoints not flanges, not CV joints... Normal....                                                 It'll need to be cut down to 42.5 and uses a 727 yoke..

chargerdon

ok...but any vehichle suggestions to look for ?   

1 Wild R/T

I'd be looking for a b or C body from the 70's, if nothing like that is available a 80's vintage Diplomat or Mirada but those are likely small yoke for a 904...

1973Barracuda

You didn't really ask this part, but be advised, if I am no mistaken, the slip is different in a 518 than a 727.

Could be wrong but am fairly certain.

Katfish

Quote from: 1973Barracuda on October 06, 2019, 12:24:08 AM
You didn't really ask this part, but be advised, if I am no mistaken, the slip is different in a 518 than a 727.

Could be wrong but am fairly certain.

Not true, exact same yoke.
When I did my 518 swap, I just had the driveshaft cut down.

1973Barracuda

chargerdon

DARN  No 70's or 80's RWD Mopars available at the local U-Pull it.   There was a 79 D100 Pickup and its driveshaft would have worked, but, it was bent pretty bad.   

So went looking under the newer rwd mopars..   

Looked at the  2006-2015 Chargers...  No good they all are two piece drive shafts and do not use u-joints..   

Then looked under 2wd Dakotas...from 1997-2005  No good.., they use two piece drive shafts and do use normal U-joints but the rear drive section isn't long enough..  so no go.  Same with the 4wd versions...   all split drive shafts...none long enough.

Then under Dodge Rams...the 2wd versions use a regular one piece drive shaft with U-Joints, but, they all tended to be be HUGE in diameter..mostly black drive shafts i don't know what their made of but have diameters of around 5-6"   so no go.

Then i stumbled upon a 2008 2WD Ford Explorer... It had a normal driveshaft with u-joints...length 55" but that's ok as ill have it cut.   Diameter looked a little large (circumfrence of about 11-12 inches whereas mine is closer to 10" circumfrence...  but that might be ok..  So, for only $26 i went ahead and bought it.  I don't know if ill be able to find u-joints that will fit it and still mate to my Yoke and rear axle or not..   But for only $26 i took a chance...  might be wasted money..     Best i could find... 

chargerdon

Love this Web site.   I feel like all of the members here are more like fraternity brothers.   

After posting the u-pull it attempt and getting the Ford driveshaft i was contacted by Skid Row who said "don't put no Fud parts in a mopar" that he had a B body driveshaft that he would let me have.   

He had his son bring the driveshaft with him to Apex, NC...about 15 miles from me.   Got it last night !!   Will be returning the Fud driveshaft back to the salvage yard..   

Thanks Sid !!!!