Main Menu

Need Help.Need pics

Started by Caparco, April 18, 2020, 02:13:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Caparco

A mechanic made a mess of my car. Now I have to go through everything and put it right.had major charging problems (along with a short in the system).. My alternator bracket and the way it's mounted just look horrible!.. Can someone please show me a nice close up pic of how it 'should' be mounted. Non A/C 72 Challenger. Has a double Pully. Long story. The car came with a/C but I ripped it out 20 years ago when I was young and foolish. This all started my mounting trouble.
Thanks Marcus
It's Amazing what we can accomplish~

With just a little bit of hard work.

And a whole LOT of complaining!!... lol

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

71383bee

Yeah that mounting is way out of whack.  You can get an or style alternator bracket kit from many of the restoration parts dealers.

Reach out to Dave and Roseville. They offer a discount for members and they should have the correct style kit for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Caparco

Excellent work guys!! Appreciate all the help!!

Caparco

Well unfortunately,it doesn't want to concede quietly. Maybe he sent me the wrong kit. To verify can somebody measure the two spacers that are used the big one and a small one. Also the long bolt that's used. My kit came with two extra small spacers no clue where they go and 2 long bolts. One too long and one too short it seems. No good tasting porridge there. And while you're in there just to clarify as much as I scoured engine pictures. Going towards the engine it is; alternator, bracket, spacer,alternator, spacer, block. ABSAS

71vert340

Here's a photo from the alternator of my 74 Charger that I removed the A/C from. If you need another photo, I'll uncover it as it's masked off for painting but this may help or give you an idea.
Terry

anlauto

It looks messed up for sure, but I think if you want to run a system using factory parts for a non-AC, I think you would need ALL the correct parts. If the shop was trying to locate the alternator to line up the belts with the AC pulleys, that's where the problems start. I don't think anything will line up properly.

I think you have to make sure your bottom and top pulleys are also from a non-AC car in order to use non-AC alternator brackets. Same with power steering, if you have that. The solution starts with the correct pulleys I think.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71vert340

Quote from: anlauto on May 24, 2020, 02:58:54 PM
It looks messed up for sure, but I think if you want to run a system using factory parts for a non-AC, I think you would need ALL the correct parts. If the shop was trying to locate the alternator to line up the belts with the AC pulleys, that's where the problems start. I don't think anything will line up properly.

I think you have to make sure your bottom and top pulleys are also from a non-AC car in order to use non-AC alternator brackets. Same with power steering, if you have that. The solution starts with the correct pulleys I think.

And Alan is correct. I have a box of pulleys from cars I've parted out over the years and I kept fitting different pulleys until I found the right combination. It helped I have two other cars I could look at that had A/C so I knew what I could and couldn't use. I also made sure I had the correct diameter pulley on the water pump which depends on how many vanes are on the water pump impeller for proper cooling. And my convertible does not have A/C so I knew about what diameter pulleys I needed.
Terry

Caparco

Terry's large spacer seems to be 2" and the onr in the kit is 2 3/8. No way I can fit that with the bracket between the alternator.and notice his block spacer is longer.
So the problem im so confused is i have non a/c bolt & spacer kit on a a/c bracket? My alternator is non a/c , but how would  even fit a spacer between the alternator with the bracket inside. Is the bracket just thinner slightly?
  And notice his long bolt is about 5 3/4

71383bee

I believe the bracket goes on the outside of the alt. It should be bracket plate - alt with long spacer between the ears - and short spacer on back into head. I usually added a few washers to the whole setup in spots to get it to fit right. It looks like it's too far forward.

71383bee

Check that....I found several references with the way you have it. With the front ear of the alternator first then the bracket long spacer alternator ear then short spacer. If it's not lining up with your pulley then I'm thinking those maybe need to be changed as well.

71383bee

Also...the alt pulley and water pump are fed by the same belt. From the pictures you have the water pump pulley is not lined up right.

Caparco

I called RoseVille . See if i got the right kit. Without him seeing what we see, he seems to think The problem lies with the alternator,
Remanufactured. The ears could be slightly thicker then the original. If so , that would also explain the short bolt problem as well.