Main Menu

1971 Challenger 340 Alternator Alignment Question W/ Pics

Started by Daveh, October 31, 2018, 05:19:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

I buttoning up the engine compartment on my 340 as time permits and I've encountered an issue.  It's hard to tell in the pictures but the alternator doesn't align very well with the pulley.  The part of the alternator closest to the fender needs to be kicked around just a bit.  Not much at all.  I'm not sure how to align that without bending something else.  I feel like I'm missing something simple here.

Look at the pictures and let me know what you think? 

Thanks
Dave

Cuda Cody

Can you adjust the spacers so it aligns a little better?

Daveh

I could do that easy enough but that's not the issue. It needs to be twisted or cocked slightly in towards The front of the engine.  Like if you grabbed each side of the alternator with your hands and twisted towards the front of the engine.

Katfish

I had similar issue when I switched to Sanden compressor with new brackets.
I hit the ears of the alternator with a grinder to give them a beveled edge.

Rich G.

Is that and original alt bracket on the water pump? From the one view it looks likes it's pushing the alt. back. I'd unbolt the bracket on the w/p and see if the alt straightens out and possibly elongate the hole on the bracket where it sits straight.

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Can't change where it goes into the head so that bracket is too long.
Sheldon

gzig5

Looks like it's at an angle to the main pulley?  laid back a little on the outside?  Mine is just like that with the stock brackets. It's also a '71 motor. Interested to see how you address it.  I've left mine be with bigger fish to fry for the time being.

RJChallenger

Are they the original heads? I put 64 383 heads on a 70 440 motor the casting hole for the alt was then, in a slightly different location causing the same effect.

Chryco Psycho

I agree , the bracket from the water pump is too long , , you need to oval the holes at the water pump so the bracket will pull in towards the water pump

mopar jack

Haven't had  a small block in years but on my big blocks the upper bracket is on the outside of the alternator not between the two halves.

Timbbuc2

That was the worst part of my build todate. Some great members here posted pictures of their car. And it's ready. Maybe someone can do the same for you.
Get in, I'll drive

anlauto

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 31, 2018, 09:04:52 PM
I agree , the bracket from the water pump is too long , , you need to oval the holes at the water pump so the bracket will pull in towards the water pump

Yup :iagree:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RJChallenger

Hi Dave.  Take the alternator belt / brackets off altogether.Then check to see if the alternator bolt , is in straight to the head (not cross threaded). With just the alt hanging on the main bolt only. Use a straight edge or string to check alignment of pulleys. Are they true to each other and in line. Would you have to bend the bolt to get the pulleys to line up? If so, the issue is one of two things . either the holes in the alternator casting for the main bolt are miss-aligned ( defective, poor after market quality?) causing the pulley to run off kilter,or the threaded hole on the head is on the wrong angle. Good luck

Daveh

They're the same heads I've always had on the car never had an issue.  The brackets and pulleys are new because I'm adding the A/C to the car and figured I would add all new brackets.  I really didn't want to unbolt anything before I knew for sure because of the sealant on the threads. 

mopar jack

I think the long bolt goes through the  bracket then through the alt then the long spacer, the alt again and the small spacer to the head.