Main Menu

New fuel lines don’t fit correctly

Started by Mopar5, April 30, 2020, 04:26:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopar5

Hello I'm trying to get my new fuel lines in and they don't look correct they are visible hanging below the rocker any advice would be appreciated this is a 70 challenger with a vapor line as well

Chryco Psycho

In the first picture you have the lines twisted around each other , the bottom line goes over & back under the second line , there should be a bracket bolted to the body support near the seat belt bolt to hold both lines tight to the floor , you usually have to tweak the lines a bit to keep them as close to the floor as possible inside the rocker .

floorit426

I just got done retro fitting a set in there, too. I had to pull them out several times, to get it right. I believe I had the same twist in the lines, that Chryco pointed out. I believe there are three screw in mounting points and three spring clip points. It doesn't hurt to get a few extra "S" clips, either. Do yourself a favor and attach the rubber fuel line, before the engine goes in. I didn't and it is all but impossible to attach, with the engine in place.

Mopar5

Thank you. I will start over this time one at a time.

JS29

Unrelated but you don't have body plugs in the floor pan. I would install them for a multitude of reasons.  :alan2cents:

Mopar5

I have new body plugs the car is still on casters a long way from being driven

JS29

Mrbill426

Thanks for the post; I am about to tackle this job too with fuel, vapor, and brake lines.  Laying them out on the floor next to the originals it seems the line manufacture could have done a better job at bending them what with the claims of being exact and all.  Pretty sure these cars all had the same frame dimensions and bends.  I zip-tied old fuel lines to the new and it's going to take some real tweaking; one of the lines (I think vapor) is bent in the opposite direction at the tank end   :unbelievable:   I just hope I don't kink one in the process.   :'(

JS29

I would try giving the one going the opposite way a twist   :alan2cents:

anlauto

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 01, 2020, 12:12:21 PM
Thanks for the post; I am about to tackle this job too with fuel, vapor, and brake lines.  Laying them out on the floor next to the originals it seems the line manufacture could have done a better job at bending them what with the claims of being exact and all.  Pretty sure these cars all had the same frame dimensions and bends.  I zip-tied old fuel lines to the new and it's going to take some real tweaking; one of the lines (I think vapor) is bent in the opposite direction at the tank end   :unbelievable:   I just hope I don't kink one in the process.   :'(

What brand of fuel lines did you purchase ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

I believe the fuel lines are made by Right Stuff Detailing; bought them last Summer.  The brake lines I have had for a long time; I have not tried them as yet.  This has been a on and off project for longer than I care to discuss.  :(   I ended up piecing together the clamps and clips for the lines because none of the "kits" offered buy any of the suppliers came even close to what was originally used on the car.

Quote from: anlauto on May 01, 2020, 12:30:39 PM
Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 01, 2020, 12:12:21 PM

What brand of fuel lines did you purchase ?

anlauto

I use Fine Lines Inc....They need tweaking, but nothing like what you're describing...I've had some issues with "The Right Stuff" before...although it seems like you'll need to work with what you have, thankfully, the tubing is pretty easy to manipulate  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mopar5

I ordered the lines a year ago , so I have to look up the manufacturer I will try to do that but I think the lines are good and this is operator error on my part. But bottom line I went out there today and patiently worked with them and they eventually seemed to lay into place.I think my biggest mistake was putting on the little s clips that hold the two line sets together and installing both at once. After the clips were removed I could move the individual lines to see how they run individually and tended to want to fall in place. Patience is a virtue. I will get some after pics

Mopar5

Here are some pics

Chryco Psycho