Main Menu

OEM vs Replacement Hurst Shifters

Started by B5 Six Pack, November 26, 2017, 01:29:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

B5 Six Pack

My 73 Cuda is an original 4 speed car. I noticed the Hurst pistol grip shifter that is installed utilizes two 3/8-24 hex head bolts to attach the handle to the shifter mechanism. I am very familiar with this typical Hurst arrangement from having numerous muscle cars through the years with various models of Hurst shifters installed.
Here's the thing: I was thinking that factory installed pistol grip shifters used a slip in type arrangement to connect the handle to the shifter guts. I think I might have even had one like that years ago, and they could be a bitch to get apart. Did I dream this, or are there two types - "factory" and "aftermarket" that were supplied by Hurst? Thanks.

anlauto

70-71 has the slip-in, 72+ uses the bolt-on  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

B5 Six Pack

Quote from: anlauto on November 26, 2017, 01:34:11 PM

Good deal. I'm not crazy.  :ohyeah: Also, I'd rather have the bolt on type. Thanks.

fc7cuda

Certainly makes it easy for handle removal.  :bigthumb:

Roadman

Slip in was designed to reduce vibration to your wrist. Rubber mount.   :idea:

Floyd

One of the car magazines writers that reviewed the new e-bodies had the shifter handle come out during the test drive if I recall correctly.  I never had one come out that easy!

Chryco Psycho

I have been known to drill a single hole through the shifter & pistol grip , there is a dimple i n the shifter that I use as a center & slide a single 3/8 bolt in just to be sure they stay in place !!

69bronzeT5

Quote from: anlauto on November 26, 2017, 01:34:11 PM

Learned something new every day!

Associate Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

Jim AAR

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 26, 2017, 06:50:22 PM
I have been known to drill a single hole through the shifter & pistol grip , there is a dimple i n the shifter that I use as a center & slide a single 3/8 bolt in just to be sure they stay in place !!

Yep, that's what I did as well, got tired of it popping out when shifting it hard.

Most of the guys that I cruised with that had Pistol Grips did the same as well.

It's covered by the boot, so no one would ever know that you did it.  :clapping:

ToxicWolf

I had the screw in type and put nuts on the end of each one.  Tightened them down to stop them from vibrating out and the shifter getting loose.   :waving:

Shane Kelley

If you replace the rubber inserts and metal plates with the tabs that lock into shifter they hold very well. If you know the trick they are very easy to remove. Just slide a .005 or similar size feeler gauge down both sides and it releases the handle. This is a nice feature if you need to pull the tranny. You can slide them down the sides of the shifter boot and pull the handle. No need for pulling the console and unscrewing the boot. 

Shane Kelley

Left is bolt in style and right is slip in handles.  Next one down is slip in style shifter assembly and the one below that is bolt in.