Main Menu

Off the shelf spal fan/fans for 22" radiator?? Which one

Started by Crash520, August 19, 2017, 02:41:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabob496

Quote from: HP2 on August 23, 2017, 06:23:44 AM
Depending on the source, ditching a direct drive fan for an electric can free up 5-10 hp. If you drive a 150hp four banger, this is a change that will make a difference. If you have a 500 hp big block, you probably won't even notice the change and unless you are a class racer chasing the last .001 advantage, is a moot point for nearly any one else.

I've seen articles where, for a big block, its more than 15hp, based on dyno runs. I ditched my mechanical, and sense
its more than 15 hp. 
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cudabob496

http://www.carnut.com/ramblin/dyno.html

engine spin time is interesting too. My engine seemed to rev quicker
without the mechanical fan.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Crash520

Guys, what's the rpm limit of a Mopar clutch fan please?, I'll be taking this little small block up around 7000 on short bursts provided the torque is still in it
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

cudabob496

would not think it had a limit, with the clutch disengaged, or allowing slippage?
If I were taking a small block to 7000 rpm, I would have an electric fan, and ditch
the weight.

Burdar

Fans definitely have an RPM limit.  I don't know if you'll be able to find a stated limit on your fan though.  Maybe look on Summit Racings website.  Look up some different fans and see what they list as max RPM.  I want to say the 15" fixed fan I bought from Summit had an 8000 RPM limit but I'm just guessing.  If you are turning that high an RPM, I'd run an electric.  At some point at those high RPMs, the fan is going to come apart IMO.  It might be 20 years down the line but...

cudabob496

ya, if no clutch to disengage, then there would definitely be a limit.
A lot of fans might start throwing blades at 7000+ rpm. Another good
reason for a shroud!

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Burdar on August 23, 2017, 01:29:51 PM
The Ford Taurus fans are popular on A-bodies with 22" radiators.  I bought one for $20 at a junk yard to test fit.  For some reason(the combination of parts I'm using on my Dart) there wasn't enough room to use it.  It should fit an E-body easily.  Check them out on RockAuto.  They have all the dimensions.  Look up the fan for a 95 3.8L V6 Taurus.

Already have clutch fan setup I'm happy with but great info knowing this electric setup fits as an alternative.