Main Menu

Oil filter housing

Started by Rich G., February 06, 2020, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

Did all 340 Cuda's use the 90 degree oil filter adapter.  The 73 I'm working on was missing everything so I'm wondering if it is supposed to have it. There is a threaded nipple in the block where the filter goes but that's all. Sure looks like something is missing.

anlauto

I don't think it was used in 1973 :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

three two barrels

All 340's had the adapter and I have personally taken them off 318 A bodies.

anlauto

Quote from: three two barrels on February 06, 2020, 08:48:24 PM
All 340's had the adapter and I have personally taken them off 318 A bodies.

Interesting, did they continue to use the adaptor after the exhaust manifold changed to a center dump style ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

73_Cuda_4_Me

:thinking:  :thinking:  :thinking:

I sure hate to disagree, but my 73 340 engine does NOT have a 90-degree adapter, although my 70 340 does...

The 73 has a plate that sits against the block, affixed with the center adapter fitting that screws into the block, and filter threads onto it...

:alan2cents:

...Added parts book page..
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Shane Kelley

Those are a odd situation and I haven't seen anything definitive about the use of the angle adapter. My 71 Road Runner is numbers matching 340 and didn't have one on it. Motor had been rebuilt so anything possible there. I bought a untouched complete 71 340 engine out of a Duster and it just had the plate on it. Years ago I bought a low mileage untouched 73 340 Duster and it only had the plate as well. 

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Shane Kelley on February 07, 2020, 05:40:21 AM
Those are a odd situation and I haven't seen anything definitive about the use of the angle adapter. My 71 Road Runner is numbers matching 340 and didn't have one on it. Motor had been rebuilt so anything possible there. I bought a untouched complete 71 340 engine out of a Duster and it just had the plate on it. Years ago I bought a low mileage untouched 73 340 Duster and it only had the plate as well.

"Typically" but not the rule, I would say, any 340 that didn't have the 68-70 HP manifolds did not have the 90 degree adapter.  Early 71, I could see that, on a 318?  Never seen it.

anlauto

My 1971 318 Duster Twister had the 90* oil filter adaptor on it from the factory.  :alan2cents:

The determining factor was the exhaust manifolds.

The 68-70 340's used a swept back design manifold which required the adaptor. On E bodies the manifolds changed in 1971 to the center dump design. The swept back design continued on the A Bodies in 1971, I'm not sure when they changed.

We do have a resident expert on everything 340..... Scott, you out there ? @ScottSmith_Harms

blown motor

I have a 73 block 340 with TTI headers that had it but the motor had been redone before I bought the car so who knows what was on it. I took it off and never looked back. @Rich G. I have one if you need it.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Bullitt-

My '73 340 Challenger I've had since '75 does not have the adapter
Neither did the '73 340 Duster I bought in '77
However a 340 very low mile motor I bought from a salvage yard late in the '70s that I was told came from a '72 Duster, did have it. The motor was blue so it could have been produced in '71.
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Rich G.

Great info from you guys. That adapter plate that @73_Cuda_4_Me Cuda_  shows make sense what is missing. Why anyone would take it off and leave the nipple in makes no sense but this engine had the oil pan on but 2 missing main caps so nothing surprises me on this car. I have another 340 sitting on the floor that has the 90 degree adapter on I can use if I can't find that plate. Anyone have an extra plate laying around they want to sell?

73_Cuda_4_Me

Without that restrictor plate in, I don't believe the engine would build up any oil pressure... the plate limits the flow from the pump through the filter and back into block passages...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

ScottSmith_Harms

Here is an original 1971 340, never appart

Rich G.

@73_Cuda_4_Me . Am I good if I just put the 90 degree adapter on or do I need the plate?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Rich G. on February 07, 2020, 12:28:03 PM
@73_Cuda_4_Me . Am I good if I just put the 90 degree adapter on or do I need the plate?
Adapter is fine. No plate when using it. Be sure and use the thick cork gasket between the adapter a block. The thin smaller gasket goes under the bolt head and the larger round gasket goes in the obvious spot.