Main Menu

Oil leaks back

Started by Purepony, May 29, 2021, 06:46:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

The Oil pan leak from hell is back.
383 1970

I did the job three times
First time didn't straighten out the pan or use silicone. Drive 5 miles started leaking

Second time straightened pan used silicone on one side and drove another 5 miles and leaked again

Third time used the right stuff black 90 min rtv on both sides, straightened pan  and caked it on drive for 5 miles and all good m. Took out car a few hours  later and it started leaking m. Leaked Hal a quart

Made it back home with oil dripping and lost a half a quart again

I'm removing this again. Is there something I'm missing ?

I bought a new chrome made in Taiwan pan that seems sturdy and plan to use.
I went with this option because this is the only one available local and in stock. Color didn't matter since I'm going to paint it with some etch premier

Is there anything else that could make the oil pan leave?

Anything with the PCV system I should look at?
Torque wrench ? I didn't use one should I ?

It wasn't leaking that bad until I replaced the water pump and added a new oil breathe air filter then suddenly it started leaking but I don't know if it was because of the filter since it just started leaking afterwards

Help before I just remove the motor and put an ls in there lol

anlauto

Is it the rear main seal, or the oil pan ? Can you see where it's coming from ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

:iagree: You have to know where the leak is coming from. IMO the 383 has a poorly designed rear main seal. Hughes Engines sells a billet aluminum rear main seal retainer that improves on the factory retainer. I installed the kit when I rebuilt my 383.

anlauto

Every engine builder I've dealt with replaces the factory rear main cap like headejm just mentioned  :bigthumb: ....There's a few people making them.
Here's Mancini's version: https://www.manciniracing.com/bilrearmains.html
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Purepony

My oil pan only has one gasket and no tray
I don't see a seal but it's leaking at the front lip under the timing cover

Here's a pic

anlauto

Oh...I highly recommend one of these gaskets then...they are the best  :twothumbsup:
https://www.manciniracing.com/bonepiwitrga.html

Purepony

Look great but my oil pick up won't go through that
There's a hole in the center

anlauto

I'm pretty sure it would... :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  That's the gasket I use and they work great.  But like others have said, the big block mopar can leak from the rear main pretty easily.

Purepony

Hey if it does I'll order it first thing Tuesday but here's the pan I have

I could be wrong but if I put that on how would the lock up go through the center ?

Cuda Cody

Here's my 383 and the gasket works fine with the pick up.

Purepony

I'll order it first thing Tuesday

Is there anything else I should look for ? I found oil on the gear box and on the inner wheel well under the master cylinder

JonH

Are you using a pcv system? Breathers alone are not enough. If you are not pulling vacuum through the engine you will have positive crankcase pressure. If that is the case you will never stop the leaks....

Purepony

Do I need rtv for that gasket ?

anlauto

Quote from: Purepony on May 30, 2021, 09:07:41 AM
Do I need rtv for that gasket ?
No no....nice clean surfaces. You can run a thin bead of sealer over the cracks at the timing cover and rear main but that's all I would do.