Main Menu

Overheating/Fan clutch options

Started by Gross Polluter, November 21, 2023, 01:13:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Strawdawg on November 22, 2023, 06:46:09 AMLooks to me as if the clutch is the main problem.  I would get a hd factory style fan and a good clutch.  In your current state, a clutch will probably fix it.  I live in a hot area and have learned not to like flex a lite type fans :)

Low speed problems are usually due to a lack of air flow thru the radiator.  I would use the factory fan not withstanding my comment above :) and a fan clutch that slips less.  I forget the Hayden number for the lower slip fan but it should be listed somewhere in comments on the site or on Hayden's page.  For some reason in the foggy banks of my mind is "Jaguar clutch" LOL, but you want the lower slip fan.  Makes a world of difference in traffic.

Looked it up.  Hayden 2765 appears to be the correct number.  Believe Chryco sent me that way many years ago.

Thanks much, appreciate it!  A few follow up questions... 

Looking on Rock Auto they don't show 2765 for this application, but 2706.  Not sure if there's a functional difference but they seem similar enough, both considered standard duty. 

What do you think about using a Heavy Duty clutch (Hayden part #'s noted in my original comment)?  I'm considering it partly for peace of mind, but also thinking that because the car has a 22 in radiator and I can't remember how many rows it has, but the core seems on the thin side overall.  The heavy duty clutches also note that 2.5" fan pitch is needed, but I don't see specs for that on the #216 fan noted above or my flex a lite.  How much of an issue would that be? 

Now I'm not sure if I have the right shroud.  The shroud opening is a little over 21", but it doesn't seem centered on the fan as my current fan is about 18" and has a lot less clearance on the top than the sides and bottom.  If I were to try the #216 fan, that appears to be 20" so not sure if that would work with my shroud. 

Thanks again to all for the tips here! 
1970 Challenger RT 383 auto Plum Crazy

2012 Challenger RT 5.7 6-speed STP (sold, sadly)

2020 Charger 6.4L Scat Pack

Strawdawg

LOL, Summit calls it a heavy duty.

I suspect if your current clutch is bad, then just about any clutch will work.  Primary difference between clutches other than regular, HD, and severe duty is the length.  You can compare specs on the Hayden site, I believe.  The 2765 is pretty short and that makes it easy to position correctly in the shroud using a spacer of some length.

I first used the 2765 on my 440 with a 22" radiator and now on the 526 with a 26" thicker cored unit.  I changed spacers when going from one to the other.  As I said, I live in a hot area (west central Texas) where summer temps go from 100 to several 112s this year.

I would look for a fan that fits the opening of the shroud ultimately and position it in the opening properly.  On a mild 383, it should be easy to cool, imo.  I have not had a 383 since 1965 so I may be wrong. :haha:

Steve

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Strawdawg on November 22, 2023, 04:53:16 PMLOL, Summit calls it a heavy duty.

I suspect if your current clutch is bad, then just about any clutch will work.  Primary difference between clutches other than regular, HD, and severe duty is the length.  You can compare specs on the Hayden site, I believe.  The 2765 is pretty short and that makes it easy to position correctly in the shroud using a spacer of some length.

I first used the 2765 on my 440 with a 22" radiator and now on the 526 with a 26" thicker cored unit.  I changed spacers when going from one to the other.  As I said, I live in a hot area (west central Texas) where summer temps go from 100 to several 112s this year.

I would look for a fan that fits the opening of the shroud ultimately and position it in the opening properly.  On a mild 383, it should be easy to cool, imo.  I have not had a 383 since 1965 so I may be wrong. :haha:

Thanks again.  Good to know that clutch was effective on a 440 with a 22" rad. My 383 was bored over, not sure if that thinner cylinder wall makes much difference one way or another.

I'm afraid I won't be able to go to a larger fan diameter until I can figure out whether I have the right shroud though.

Sounds like you're not concerned with the business about the pitch of the fan blades?

Strawdawg

As I said, I prefer the factory fans, but right now, IF the clutch is bad in yours, you should see a major improvement with just that change. Set the blades on the fan about 2/3s into the shroud for best draw.
Steve

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Strawdawg on November 22, 2023, 05:17:53 PMAs I said, I prefer the factory fans, but right now, IF the clutch is bad in yours, you should see a major improvement with just that change. Set the blades on the fan about 2/3s into the shroud for best draw.

Thanks again!  As far as changing the fan, I'll try to get more info on the diameter of the factory style fans and go from there. 

Strawdawg

I'm bad about spending money so I try to avoid telling others to be like me  :D
Steve

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Strawdawg on November 22, 2023, 05:31:08 PMI'm bad about spending money so I try to avoid telling others to be like me  :D

Appreciate the financial consideration haha.  And it does help to hear the clutch is probably the priority, all things considered.  :cheers:

Racer57

QuoteGross Polluter............ Starting when the engine is warm has been an issue depending on how warm the engine is/was.  But I think it's complicated by gas boiling over from the carb into the engine if it's gotten hot enough.

My 383 was hard to start after getting warm, and I also felt the gas was boiling out. I added insulation under the carb and it seems to have helped. It looks like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on each side. Also, I noticed some anti-freeze on the ground after each time I had it out. I added an overflow bottle and that made a major difference keeping the fluid at the correct level.

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Racer57 on November 22, 2023, 07:58:06 PM
QuoteGross Polluter............ Starting when the engine is warm has been an issue depending on how warm the engine is/was.  But I think it's complicated by gas boiling over from the carb into the engine if it's gotten hot enough.

My 383 was hard to start after getting warm, and I also felt the gas was boiling out. I added insulation under the carb and it seems to have helped. It looks like bubble wrap with aluminum foil on each side. Also, I noticed some anti-freeze on the ground after each time I had it out. I added an overflow bottle and that made a major difference keeping the fluid at the correct level.

Thanks.  I've got the overflow and it does help a lot. 

I've thought about using some kind of insulation, did you put it on the valley pan or up under the manifold? 

Racer57

Quote from: Gross Polluter on November 22, 2023, 08:05:12 PM
Quote from: Racer57 on November 22, 2023, 07:58:06 PM

Thanks.  I've got the overflow and it does help a lot. 

I've thought about using some kind of insulation, did you put it on the valley pan or up under the manifold? 
Its on top of the valley pan.

Gross Polluter

Its on top of the valley pan.
[/quote]

Thanks.  Was thinking of using a bit of RTV or something to hold in place, what did you use? 

Racer57

Quote from: Gross Polluter on November 23, 2023, 10:24:11 AMIts on top of the valley pan.

Thanks.  Was thinking of using a bit of RTV or something to hold in place, what did you use? 
[/quote]
I didn't use anything. Its more or less cut to shape and hasn't moved any.

Gross Polluter

Quote from: Racer57 on November 23, 2023, 07:18:06 PM
Quote from: Gross Polluter on November 23, 2023, 10:24:11 AMIts on top of the valley pan.

I didn't use anything. Its more or less cut to shape and hasn't moved any.
[/quote]

Great.  Thanks!