Main Menu

Performance out of a 318

Started by Fish Tale, July 08, 2021, 10:52:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

Is it possible to bore out a 318 to 360 diameter and use a 340 stroker crank and 360 pistons?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

superdave

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/mopp-0409-318-engine-build/
I thought about getting a second 318 to try this with, kind of don't want to do that to the original. :dunno:

Fish Tale

Well here's an update. 

Looks like the 318 will be yanked out and put in storage and in its place will be a rebuilt 383 from 1970.  My nephew somehow just recently scored a free complete minus carb 383 engine out of a 70 Challenger. 

It will need a rebuild, but it was free!  How come I never get those types of deals???

blown motor

Get that engine checked. There might be a reason it was free.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

BIGSHCLUNK

You do know the 383 will require a different tranny right?

71383bee

Radiator and wiring are also different. It will move though!  Make sure it comes with the tranny, kick down, and all of the other odds and ends like pulleys sensors etc.   

Also keep in mind the suspension for the r/t and rallyes were much heavier than the small block 318 cars. Brakes too.

Cool you scored a 383. They can be really nice motors. Compression is the key. My experience with kb162 pistons on stock 906 heads was not good. Dropped compression a ton and the motor was a dog. Needed to get closed chamber heads to wake her up. Turned out to be a real stump puller though in the end!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Fish Tale

Forgot to mention, the tranny was attached to the 383 as well.  Both free!  So that will help a lot.

He's going to be swapping the brakes out for discs and probably should up the torsion bars since its now a big block.  K member should be fine?

Chryco Psycho

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

I have done a few 383 strokers , I prefer to use the 440 rods & crank size & keep the engines around 436 CI , even at that CI they are very strong performers .

Filthy Filbert

Is 440 Source still around?   

I have a 383 that has one of their kits in it.   final displacement came in at 438.   Basically I ended up with a 440 wrapped in a 383 block.    Edelbrock heads, RPM intake, decent cam, and it made 505hp and 535 tq on the engine dyno.