Main Menu

Starts then dies after 5-10 seconds - carb spitting out gas

Started by 70pumpkin, August 12, 2019, 09:14:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70pumpkin

Can't wait to switch to efi, but in the meantime, my car keeps on dying and I don't know why.  Car starts right up but after 5-10 seconds (in fast idle), it dies and spits out gas from the throat.  I've tweaked the timing and manually adjusted the air/fuel mixture screws, but get the same results.  Carb is an old 2-bbl Holley Economaster.

I suspect it's a float or gasket issue, but I really don't know much about carbs so looking for some help...

Chryco Psycho

there is a stuck float or dirt in the needle & seat holding the valve open , you need to tap on the carb to see fi the dirt willdislodge or take the carb apart & clean it

Rich G.

Will it stay running if you spray carburetor cleaner in it? If it does it's starving for gas like Chryco said or you have a major vacuum leak,

usraptor

I agree with Chryco, the float is stuck in the open position and your are flooding the engine.

Rich G.

Chryco is right if the float is stuck and it's flooding out. Or am I misreading what he's describing. You would think it would be leaking gas out of the throttle shaft and a ton of black smoke if it was running that rich. Look in the carb when it shuts off. Is fuel still running in? 

YellowThumper

I vote for bad float. Pull it and it should weigh almost nothing. They do go bad and soak fuel. Get heavy and flood the motor.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.