Main Menu

Why is the exhaust spitting?

Started by blown motor, April 24, 2022, 12:41:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I started the Challenger (340) for the first time since last fall. I pulled out of the shop almost immediately and after about one and a half car lengths I have two trails as shown. Less than two car lengths later it was all but gone. What's happening here and what's the solution?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cudamike

That's condensation from starting your car. Once car warms up it goes away.

dodj

No worries.... condensation ... You're fine.
As for a solution....... dirtier garage floor...... lol
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

You could drill weep holes at the lowest point of your mufflers...or not worry about it  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

As mentioned, that's condensation from the hot exhaust meeting the cold steel exhaust system. Just make sure you get the exhaust hot enough to dry out thoroughly or you'll expedite the system's corrosion. Get 'er warmed up Murray, and then put the hammer well and truly down and you should clear it out tout suite!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Quote from: dodj on April 24, 2022, 03:36:12 PM
No worries.... condensation ... You're fine.
As for a solution....... dirtier garage floor...... lol

I'll have to push it outside and then start it.  :))

Filthy Filbert

This is why you don't start your car unless you're going to drive it.   It's condensation, a byproduct of combustion. 

Perfect combustion is Hydro carbon plus oxygen = CO2 and H2O

That water vapor that formed hits the 15' of cold steel exhaust pipe and condenses into water.   You gotta drive the car and get it hot enough to get the exhaust pipes hot enough that the water vapor stops condensing and blows out the tail pipe with the rest of the exhaust gasses. 

Also, that water vapor bypasses your ring gaps and fills your crank case with water vapor which can put water into your oil.

Again, If you're not gonna drive it, don't start it!

Jay Bee

Here's an old picture - 2004 t0 2014, that's 10 years worth of "spit". My garage floor is covered with 4 strips of conveyor belting laid up-side-down. (PS: yes, the exhaust pipes have been changed since then.)

HP_Cuda

Yes I would say normally that is condensation coming out your rear pipes but the first picture of this post shows what it looks like is black. My ride does this one first start up but it dries pretty quick and doesn't really leave any trace. If yours is black I hope it's not oil.

What I am saying is that normally it should not stain the ground black.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Burdar

What exhaust is on the car?  Stockish system with mufflers at the back next to the gas tank or aftermarket system with mufflers under the rear seat?

I've said this before but when I used to work at an exhaust shop, we would use and ahl and punch a small hole in the back of the muffler at the lowest point.(right above the rolled seam at the back)  This lets the water drain out and significantly lengthens the life of a muffler.  Especially mufflers that are placed at the very back of a car.  It takes a long time for them to warm up when they are at the back.  If you have a stainless muffler, it might be easier to drill a hole then to punch one.

Brads70

It's crying from neglect! Get out and drive it!  :burnout:   :)

blown motor

Quote from: HP_Cuda on April 25, 2022, 12:50:14 PM

Yes I would say normally that is condensation coming out your rear pipes but the first picture of this post shows what it looks like is black. My ride does this one first start up but it dries pretty quick and doesn't really leave any trace. If yours is black I hope it's not oil.

What I am saying is that normally it should not stain the ground black.

It's not oil. I wonder if I'm set too rich and it's puking a little soot out with the water.

blown motor

@Burdar TTI headers and Magnaflow exhaust. The muffler always gets warmed up. I don't start it unless I'm going for a run. There's no two minute drives for this car.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: Burdar on April 25, 2022, 01:39:12 PM
What exhaust is on the car?  Stockish system with mufflers at the back next to the gas tank or aftermarket system with mufflers under the rear seat?

I've said this before but when I used to work at an exhaust shop, we would use and ahl and punch a small hole in the back of the muffler at the lowest point.(right above the rolled seam at the back)  This lets the water drain out and significantly lengthens the life of a muffler.  Especially mufflers that are placed at the very back of a car.  It takes a long time for them to warm up when they are at the back.  If you have a stainless muffler, it might be easier to drill a hole then to punch one.

I believethe stock mufflers came with these weep holes, right? The ECS exhausts have them.

HP_Cuda

Pull a couple of plugs and see if it's running rich.

:bigthumb:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200