Main Menu

Pistol Grip Rattle

Started by moparcop, November 02, 2018, 06:46:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparcop

Ok....so when Im driving the top of my pistol grip shifter has an annoying rattle. If I place my thumb over the top where the shift pattern appears through the plastic lens the noise goes away. Looks as if the pattern is loose in there. Question is....how does it come apart? I took the grips off with the 3 screws but that didn't get me to where I need to be. Any suggestions or pics of how this breaks down? :dunno:
"No matter where you go....there you are"

GY3R/T

Rattle is probably in top bezel that holds shift pattern. You'll know what to do.

anlauto

I've removed the plastic grips and put dum-dum in and around the base of the top bezel, then replaced the grips...seem to have worked for me. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

the top bezel is peened onto the top of the handle , to get to it you have to break the shift pattern lens as the lens is glued in place , easier to to add something under the pistol grip handles as suggested above

DodgeGuy

I just fixed the same issue on my shifter about a month ago.  I more or less did just as Alan suggested, took the 3 screws out and removed the plastic grips. 

I actually used clear silicone around the base of the bezel.  I had my wife hold "up" on the bezel as I put the plastic grips back on and screwed them together.  I then "seated" the bezel back on the grips and held it in place for a while. 

No more vibration....and yes, it was VERY annoying. lol
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

moparcop

Thanks for the responses guys. I took the grips off and added a little dum-dum around the base , sides and top as recommended. 5 minute fix and all is well. They should all be this easy!!    :banana:
"No matter where you go....there you are"

Cuda_mark

I've always thought that the rattle was just part of owning a cool Mopar. Seems like they all make the same noise!