Main Menu

71' 340 Block numbers

Started by 76orangewagon, June 23, 2018, 05:19:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

As many of the members that follow my build in the Restoration section know I have been looking for a date correct 1971 block for my SPD April 30th Cuda. My buddy from Pennsylvania sent me pictures today of a 1971 block that he has... the casting number was definitely in the ball park for a Mounds Rd including hints of Corporate Blue paint but when I asked him for the numbers under the numbers below the #1 cylinder, this is what he sent me. Can anyone here help me decode the Two lines, it looks like several zeros and a two on the first line and the second line reads MH 340 something I believe, MH could be M=Mounds Rd and the H would be 1972 assembly but the several lines are very confusing and it may not be correct. The last Picture is the current May 1st 1970 engine I currently have for the car which looks nothing like his block numbers.

GY3R/T

Not a good strike on first attempt, so he tried again with the same results.   :headbang:
   The half strike numbers that appear to be 0s, can also be 3s, 6s, 8s, 0s.

Cuda Cody

That's a hard stamp to see.  This might help?   :notsure:  Click on the photo of the small bock on the right.

https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-chrysler-10000-day-calendar-date-code/1971-model-year-engine-trans/

76orangewagon

Okay it looks like it's a 1972 built motor but since I am looking for a date correct block would it be to far off to use since it's a January 1971 Mounds Rd casting. Once painted all that would be visible is the casting date not the final assembly date. I would like to build a 340 with lighter forged pistons and connecting rods and since the heads are X heads, I'm looking to build a set of correct J heads for the correct year build. I have a great running  May 1st, 1970 engine and I am not looking forward to spending more money for changes that the majority of people will never even notice.

6bblgt

I think you are correct in the MH = Mound Rd. & 1972 ***** is there a VIN stamping?

MH 340 R = Regular - 1971 engines were still "P" for Premium fuel

the Engine Assembly Date (EAD) appears to be in the 3850s which would be mid-February '72

76orangewagon

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 23, 2018, 07:20:53 PM
I think you are correct in the MH = Mound Rd. & 1972 ***** is there a VIN stamping?

MH 340 R = Regular - 1971 engines were still "P" for Premium fuel

the Engine Assembly Date (EAD) appears to be in the 3850s which would be mid-February '72

Dan,
I'll try to get a Vin stamping tomorrow from my buddy, but it's not looking promising for a good match.