Main Menu

Prepping engine after prolonged storage

Started by Dakota, March 18, 2020, 12:28:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

This is a "what would you do?" kind of question for our engine gurus about whether to pull the intake manifold on my 340. 

The engine was professionally rebuilt about 6 years ago.   The engine was mostly assembled in a stand in my garage for about 4 years with plastic covers on top of intake manifold and over the exhaust ports.  A couple of times a year, I squirted some oil into the cylinders and rotated the crank with a hand ratchet.   About 2 years ago, the engine was installed in the car along with the exhaust manifolds (outlets were taped), a FiTech throttle body (the top was taped), and an oil filter.   Break-in engine oil was put into the pan and the oil pump was spun with a drill while the crank was slowly turned with a breaker bar.  I've repeated this a couple time a year since then.

Some time this spring/summer, I'm hoping I will finally run the motor. Beforehand, I'm going to be pulling the valve covers off to drill out the plugs for the breather and the PCV valve (Mopar Performance covers), so I'll get a good look at the rockers and the tops of the pushrods.   While I'm confident that the engine shop properly lubricated the parts while putting the engine back together, I'm wondering if enough time and oil have gone by that it would be time well spent to pull the intake manifold and reapply some more lubrication to the cam lobes and the top of the lifters.

I'm going to follow the plan the Chryco laid out in a previous thread about the approach to breaking in the motor, so this is really a question about what's best to do between now and then.  If there are other suggestions about what to do or not do, please let me know that too.

Thanks.

JS29

750-h2