Main Menu

Cleaning/Prepping Rear End Housing

Started by erik70rt, December 10, 2021, 07:31:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

erik70rt

Looking to learn how all of you clean and prep rear housings for painting/rebuild. 

I am about to do one for my 44 Willys army jeep.  I thought I would take it to the DIY car wash to get all of the oil/grease out.  Then I want to strip it for painting but I'm hesitant to blast it. 

Thoughts?
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Dakota

I used a wire wheel on an angle grinder to do most of the clean up in my axle housing.   I didn't have a lot of oily spots - mostly dirt and rust.  It's cleaned up well. This approach is definitely "outside" work (weather permitting) because grit ended up flying in every direction. 

Ns1aar

I took mine the the local machine shop and had him cook it urnes all the grease and paint off it
did the same thing on the K frame

Chryco Psycho

Blast it or cook it & powder coat is what I did .

jimynick

Why are you hesitant to blast it? Is it because of the ball ends? Just bag 'em and spray a couple of cans of good oven cleaner on it and, as you mention, head to the coin wash. Then, I'd blast it, epoxy prime it and decide if you're going the full anal route and puttying all the nicks out of it, otherwise paint it. Don't forget to wince afterwards, when you perhaps drive that old flat fender like a Jeep aught to be driven.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"