Main Menu

propping up tranny without engine

Started by tparker, November 28, 2022, 10:12:47 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Any tips or tricks on how people prop up the tranny without the engine? I may want to move the car in and out of the garage when I work on it, so just placing blocks or a jack under it won't help with that. I saw a vid where a guy with an A body placed a bar on the torsion bars and rested the tranny on it. Kinda cool, but it looks like it won't work on an E body. Any thoughts?

71vert340

A piece of 2"x4" across torsion bars and a cradle built on top of 2x4 or a piece of pipe across the top of inner fenders with hood removed where the hood hinges are and tie it up with wire from pipe to tranny. If you put the hood back on, do not forget the pipe is there and accidentally close the hood, obviously. I learned by doing several it was easier to pull the tranny with the engine and reinstalling them as an assembly the same way. Too hard to align everything when leaving the tranny in.
Terry W.

Katfish

tparker

Thanks @71vert340 That sounds good. I don't want to take the hood off just yet so I'll probably pass, otherwise I'd do that.

Thanks @Katfish that looks good.   :) I'll probably do something similar to this setup. For the life of me I can't remember what I did when I first pulled the engine out.

Filthy Filbert

I've used a ratchet strap around the torsion bars. 

anlauto

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 29, 2022, 05:23:31 AM
I've used a ratchet strap around the torsion bars.

Yup, me too :bigthumb: and if you're going to be moving the car around at all, it's also a great idea to secure the torque convertor with a bracket of some sort.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration