Main Menu

Pulley belt groove offset

Started by pflug, June 26, 2022, 04:52:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pflug

Putting together the project enough to get it more mobile- Engine in place is currently a 400 from a '74 Monaco that I'm planning on using as a core for a stroker build

I found a deal on a direct fit 26" big block E body Griffin radiator so changed the water pump housing from the original passenger side hose to driver side housing I had from a '68 440

Alternator brackets from the '74 400 should be identical and were reused- also reused the '74 water pump pulley

Had two identical crank pulleys in the stash- one from a '65 383 the other from a '68 440- this pulley aligns with the water pump and alternator and fits well other than the "odd" bolt hole

Mounted the '74 power steering pump with repro brackets- pulley seems to be about 3/16" too far back toward the engine to line up

Question:  The correct power steering pulley for a '70 with Saginaw pump and threaded/keyed shaft seems to be the "3 spoke" style rather than the GM style "solid" pulley from '74- is there enough of a difference in the offset of the pulleys themselves to correct the spacing issue?

Secondary question- the '70 crank pulley seems to have the same belt groove spacing but uses a larger diameter for the power steering drive compared to the '68 and older pulley I've got- Is this necessary or just "over-engineering" as they transitioned from Federal to Saginaw pumps?  Seems like the setup with an earlier pulley would tend to underdrive the pump compared to original which may not be bad with the Saginaw