Main Menu

440 belt/pulley alignment mystery

Started by 7E-Bodies, April 26, 2022, 01:20:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Back at the post rebuild 440 assembly and noticing some significant pulley alignment issues. My hunch is the water pump yoke is pressed on too far, but correcting that would make the alternator pulley drift further out of it's already 1/8" offset. The PS pump is lining up well with the balancer pulley. Side note is that all 3 units mentioned are not factory original, which I plan to do as I find them. Has anyone ran into these issues and where did you make corrections.

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Chryco Psycho

The most common variable is the damper with many different external balance engines & thus thicknesses & also different bolt patterns with 1 bolt offset or all equal  .
The Alt is also different with single groove , double groove , AC & 110 amp variables .
Mancini sell matched pulley set which often is the easy way to solve the issue .
I know I had collected more than 40 pullies trying to match thing up on various engines over the years .

dodj

My 440 is/was exactly like that. I cut a circular aluminium spacer that fit inside the pump pulley and drilled the four matching holes in it. I think it was 1/8" thick? And added a washer or two, can't remember sitting in front of the computer, to the spacer tube between the block and alternator.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

7E-Bodies

THANK YOU ALL!!! I'm quite capable of making the shims. Just didn't know if it was proper. I love this group!
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

MoparLeo

Not necessarily proper, but some do it. Proper way is to always use the correct parts, not modify things to fit.
There are many, many different pullies that have been used over the last 20 years on all cubic inch sized B and RB engines.
Manual steering , p/s, a/c. non a/c, hd cooling, std cooling. Single pulley alternator for non a/c and dual pully for a/c.
Reproductions are being made just because of all the mismatched setups.
Buy the proper, new, matched pulleys sets and no problems...
Bouchillon is another source.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...