Main Menu

Quick question

Started by blown motor, October 18, 2024, 07:15:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Could putting in new spark plugs and new reluctor and pickup cause my idle speed to increase?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cuda Cody

How old were the old spark plugs?  I would guess yes that a gap variation in the plugs could change the idle, but I haven't experienced it myself.  :notsure:

dodj

I would say yes if you had a miss prior to changing the plugs/reluctor?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bullitt-

Perhaps..... but any chance timing is advanced a tad?  :clueless:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

blown motor

Quote from: Bullitt- on October 19, 2024, 06:15:24 AMPerhaps..... but any chance timing is advanced a tad?  :clueless:

Don't know why timing would have changed. But I'll throw the light on it to see.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

bdschnei

It could if the pick up coil's position relative to the reluctor wheel changed for some reason since the ignition module fires the coil every time a tooth on the wheel passes the pick up coil. If that's happening earlier then it used to it would advance the timing and cause idle speed to increase.
Bret

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on October 19, 2024, 02:57:37 PM
Quote from: Bullitt- on October 19, 2024, 06:15:24 AMPerhaps..... but any chance timing is advanced a tad?  :clueless:

Don't know why timing would have changed. But I'll throw the light on it to see.
Well, you had your paws on the dizzy so I'm thinking Wade's suggestion is a pretty good one.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill