Main Menu

Radiator size 22 vs 26 inch

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 04, 2020, 06:55:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I know I need a radiator, and I have inquired about this before regarding 22 vs 26 inch.  I measured the opening in my core support.  It is 22 3/4 inches wide.  I assume this means I need to get a 22 inch radiator, but I hate to assume because we all know what happens then.
Can someone please verify this?

FYI, we are going to run a 383 that will be stroked.  Haven't made a final decision yet, but maybe as much as 489.  Concerned it 22" will be enough.  If I do want to go to 26" do I need a different core support?
Thanks

anlauto

Only the one side of the core support is different....I would consider a custom 22" rad, maybe like a 4 row core or something, I'm sure they make something that would keep it cool....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

BIGSHCLUNK

I have a 22" in my HEMI. Sent it to bob at GLEN-RAY he kept my original tanks, and just put a monster sized thick core. Way better than the pusher fan I used to run.  :wrenching: :wrenching: :wrenching: And yes NIKKI was originally a 383, leave your core support alone....   :bradsthumb:  Got a new fan/clutch assy from Roseville too.

http://www.restorationradiators.com/

MOPAR MITCH

Consider US Radiator (aka Cool Craft)... i recently ordered a 22" double row (two 1" rows), all aluminum, appears close to stock in exterior appearance (not having flat non-contoured tanks such as Wizard and others)... and I ordered in their Triple Flow design.  I've painted it with EastWoods Radiator matte black paint (after first applying a primer)... Looks great and I sure hope it will do the job.   Price was reasonable... and took them cpl weeks to make it.

It even comes with factory similar fan shroud support welded in place

The only problem I had is the bottom hook holes needed to be ground wider (outward) to catch properly onto the mounting bolts at the bottom of the core support.

gzig5

There are a couple guys running 26" radiators in 22" openings and not having any problems with cooling.  You have to adapt the mounting but it can work.  I've got the opposite problem.  Originally had a 26" but now is an aftermarket 22" 2 row that is barely cutting the mustard.

Shane Kelley

Run a 22' from Bob at Glen-ray in the 70 Challenger with a Hemi. Amazingly temp has never been a issue even on the hottest days. Runs nice and cool. I'm sure the quality of the unit will make all the difference in the world.

JS29

Bob at Glen Ray is great to deal with, And honest as anyone i have ever dealt with.  :twothumbsup:

Dakota

I have a stock 26" on which is on the build sheet for my 340 with A/C.

Katfish

Quote from: gzig5 on March 05, 2020, 12:32:37 PM
There are a couple guys running 26" radiators in 22" openings and not having any problems with cooling.  You have to adapt the mounting but it can work.  I've got the opposite problem.  Originally had a 26" but now is an aftermarket 22" 2 row that is barely cutting the mustard.

That's what I did, 26" is pretty much a bolt in a 22".
Drill a couple of holes on passenger side and don't worry about it.

GoMangoBoys

I am thinking that the option to run a 26" even though I have an opening for a 22" sounds good.  How much of the radiator is blocked by the core support when this is done? Has anyone opened up the 22" to 26" so that there is no radiator blockage?  We are at a stage in the project where a little sheet metal work on the core support might not be too hard to do.
Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Makes sense maybe 3" of the core is hidden , not so much blocked without cutting the rad wall

ragtopdodge

Ya, go w/26.  Might as well.

No air flow anyways when idling at a stop light, where most folks overheat.

BIGSHCLUNK

I run a 22" w my HEMI. Bob at GLENRAY fattened up my core. No issues  I even took out the pusher fan I used to run

usraptor

I using the QEM  26" radiator with the stock clutch fan with my 440/512 stroker, which dyno'd at 556 HP, and my car never gets over 1/2 on the Temp gauge.  Even on 90+ days., idling or driving.