hot_post in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End Author Topic: Rear end clunking passenger side during turns  (Read 635 times)

Offline Cudakiller70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Six Pack
  • index in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End
  • Credits: 12030
    • Share Post
xx in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End
Rear end clunking passenger side during turns
« on: July 25, 2020, 08:44:19 PM »
Rebuilt 742 3rd member installed 3-4 years ago. Just now driving this car. Canít remember if it has a cone or clutch type sure grip. Added ford friction modifier with reg type gear oil. Also  green bearings on axles.
No problems when cold, when it gets to temp you can really feel it and sounds awful mostly during right hand turns. Iíve tried adding more Ford friction modifier that didnít help. Could the clutchís just be stuck? I doesnít do it when cold so Iím thinking thatís not it, but I have raised it up and when cold I could not get 1 wheel to turn while holding the other. Maybe itís setup too tight and as it gets warm and expands things are too tight?. Any suggestions?

Linkback: https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/rear-end-clunking-passenger-side-during-turns/17498/

Online Brads70

• E-Body Wizard
  • index in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End
  • Credits: 25030
    • Share Post
xx in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End
Re: Rear end clunking passenger side during turns
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 06:25:19 AM »
Maybe jack it up and give a good pull on the wheel and see if there is any axle play in and out? I've not had good experiences with green bearings.... mind you this was with circle track racing. If you find any play, I'd pull the axles and investigate further...

Offline mopar jack

• Big Block
  • Credits: 2650
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 06:41:27 AM »
I use Sta-lube equa torque and find a parking lot to do some figure 8s.

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 06:41:27 AM »

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
Tried figure 8ís yesterday and again today. No better, maybe worse. Been a while since I drove this car. Remembering I had the same problem with a 3:91 gear, 489 case. Pulled that third member out and had broken spider gears and cones were worn out.  Swapped out to current 3:23 gear, 742 case, did quick test drive, no problems detected then put the car away. Now Iím wanting to drive this car again and the same problem returns. So Iím wondering 2 third members in a row having the same problem or is something else causing This? This housing is shortened with after market axle bearing ends welded on with rear discs. Not sure what to do at very least Iím pulling third member. Is their anything to look for that could cause this with the housing?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:44:46 PM by Cudakiller70 »

Offline Burdar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Six Pack
  • Credits: 14730
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »
Same axles and bearings with both center sections?  Did you put a new sure-grip in it when you switched cases?
CHAL2 in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear EndOWEN in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear EndDART in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:57:54 PM »
Same noise and clunk with 2 completely different third members. Maybe the housing isnít true and/or ends not square? Twisted tube?

Offline Burdar

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »
I get that but I was asking if the axles and bearings are the same with both center sections?  Or did you swap axles and bearings when you changed out the center?

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 01:01:25 PM »

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »
@Burdar Sorry about that, I didnít see your first post. I was trying to leave more info when I posted.

I get that but I was asking if the axles and bearings are the same with both center sections?  Or did you swap axles and bearings when you changed out the center?
Yes, swapped to new axles and bearings with 742 center section.

Also with the 3:91 489 case, spider gears damaged and the axle splines were damaged almost like they stripped. Stock style axles with tapered bearings.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:44:19 PM by Cudakiller70 »

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 02:07:57 PM »
Everything spins nice by hand. I disconnected the drive shaft and with wheels and rear rotors off. I could turn it by the pinion with ease. Also by the axle flange. Real smooth no noises. BUT Cannot hold one wheel and spin the other. Pulled axles and third member, donít see anything obvious. Will tear apart sure grip even though I havenít done this before think Iíll give it a try.

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
clip in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 02:42:17 PM »
Found a couple of heat marks. Donít know if what or if itís normal or not.

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
clip in Rear end clunking passenger side during turns in Engine, Transmission & Rear End
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »
Some of the Sure grip clutch discs.

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 09:24:29 PM »

Offline nsmall

• Six Pack
  • Credits: 9780
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 11:51:13 PM »
I am having the same problem, but it is only when I am on the throttle on a sharp turn out of a parking lot.  Does it make the sounds when coasting? 

Offline Cudakiller70

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 10:31:46 AM »
No noise coasting.
Smooth easy turns no noise, but yes out of a parking lot or u turn is when I was getting the clunking sounds.
I am having the same problem, but it is only when I am on the throttle on a sharp turn out of a parking lot.  Does it make the sounds when coasting? 

Offline Burdar

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
Who's sure-grip is that?  A stock one or aftermarket?  If aftermarket, have you contacted the seller?  I wonder what they say about it?

Offline Kowal

• Leaning Tower of Power
  • Credits: 100
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »
Suggestion.   Before anyone pulls anything else apart...make sure the oil level is correct, and the right Mopar additive is in the oil, I often use a bit more of that then recommended.   

Twice I was able to get a rear end quiet by making sure of the oil/additive.
69 Hemi Charger 500, 70 U-code Challenger R/T
(Had but now gone...2 A12ís, 1 Hemi B-body, 3 other B-bodies, 2 other E-bodies and an A-body...a good run!)

P.J. OíRouke:  ďThe old car ran perfectly, right up until it didnít.Ē

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 03:35:10 PM »

Tags:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter Share via whatsapp

xx
489 8 3/4 rear clunking on turns

Started by Djdimart64

6 Replies
Last post July 13, 2020, 07:56:19 PM
by GoodysGotaCuda
xx
71-74 cuda passenger side mirror

Started by Shoooter

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2019, 09:21:28 AM
by fk5bird