Main Menu

489 8 3/4 rear clunking on turns

Started by Djdimart64, July 12, 2020, 05:05:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Djdimart64

Hey, I am polling the experts for advice here. For those who haven't seen any of my previous posts, my 73 Cuda has not been driven since 1995. I am currently in the process of getting it back on the road. Had a tow truck come to pull it out of the garage and over to a body shop and heard a loud clunking noise that I am assuming is the diff.

I figured it might have been something stuck after sitting for 25 years and it might break loose in time but the noise persists. I would really like to address it before a actually start driving the car. There was no issue with the diff when I parked it 25 years ago.

Since the lube is 25+ years old, I intend to drop the center section, clean everything and reinstall with new lube. Do you suggest I look for anything specific or something particular I should do that might help while it is apart?

I am finally very close to getting this car back on the road.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks

torredcuda

Check u-joints or maybe stuck brake pad?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

ply64post

If you have a sure grip,I would remove old lube ,replace with new lube and proper sure grip additive. I would say the clutches got dry over the years in storage from not being used.

Jeff

RUNCHARGER

Agreed: Hopefully lube will help. I would also add grease to the rear wheelbearings. It's a bit tricky but if you have a CV joint attachment for a grease gun it will help.
Sheldon

jimynick

Yeah, I agree that it's likely the SG clutches/cone. There's been a lot of discussion as to what the proper additive is to use, with GM and Ford additives both being recommended at various times. To start off with, I think I'd stick with the Mopar additive for now at least.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Djdimart64

I know its not u-joints because the driveshaft was not connected. Appreciate all the feedback, I'll get that fluid changed out this weekend.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: ply64post on July 12, 2020, 06:00:36 AM
If you have a sure grip,I would remove old lube ,replace with new lube and proper sure grip additive. I would say the clutches got dry over the years in storage from not being used.

Jeff

I agree, as long as he does in-fact have a SureGrip. That dry suregrip sound is awful, been there before.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs