Main Menu

How to make the exhaust smell less??

Started by Fern, December 13, 2018, 03:19:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

I have the same problem. Doesn't smell rich or smoke but go for a cruise top up or top down it doesn't matter my clothes stink. I never had that problem with any other Mopar I had. It is a 440 with a Lunati 507 cam -Holly 750 DP-MSD Pro Billet Dist with coil and 6A Box. I am not a great tuner but will look into some the suggestion here. Please let me know if you fix the problem-in the mean time my wife will keep busy washing my clothes-LOL.
JS27

Fern

Quote from: Cudajason on December 14, 2018, 07:04:19 AM
Do you have your vacuum advance hooked up???

I do have the vacuum advance hooked up.
Unfortunately there's not a dyno shop near by to tune it properly.
The holley 770 avenger only gives instructions to tune by best vacuum at idel. There's only 2 adjustmet screws.
O2 sensor sounds like a good idea, was trying to keep costs down since I would like to do a modern hemi swap some day.

Cudakiller70

What do your spark plugs look like? Both a lean and rich condition can have a gas smell.
Try setting your timing by the vacuum method? I haven't done this yet, but sounds like it's worth a try.

Topcat

Quote from: jimynick on December 13, 2018, 07:55:28 PM
The smart ass in me wants to say "then just don't drive it so much" Sorry  :crazytalk:

Or just drive faster, all windows down.   :haha:

HP_Cuda

JS

If that is an MSD Blaster 2 coil you don't want to mount it horizontally on the intake. They are meant to be mounted vertically and eventually fail on you that way.

Anyway, I have an LM-2 AFR o2 setup on my christmas wish list  - cannot wait!!  :banana:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cudakiller70

Good catch on the coil, maybe spark has been degraded?

HP_Cuda

Possible. Easy to change out and see but pulling the plugs will also tell you how rich its running.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Fern

Quote from: HP_Cuda on December 14, 2018, 10:05:53 PM

JS

If that is an MSD Blaster 2 coil you don't want to mount it horizontally on the intake. They are meant to be mounted vertically and eventually fail on you that way.

Anyway, I have an LM-2 AFR o2 setup on my christmas wish list  - cannot wait!!  :banana:

I have a flame thrower coil with 4 seconds flat hrr688 ignition.
Will pull plugs next.
Thanks