Main Menu

Reluctor roll pin issue

Started by blown motor, October 08, 2024, 03:24:24 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I'm changing the pickup and reluctor wheel in the distributor. The roll pin that came with the reluctor is too small. It won't stay tight in the reluctor wheel or in the slot in the shaft. Plus, I think the slot in the new wheel is bigger than in the shaft. The pin is looser in the wheel. Has anyone seen this and how did you deal with it?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

I think we may have a selection of roll pins Murray. I'll ask Nick. Failing that could you peen the pin you have to make it wider and then drive it in with the wide side into the shaft or reluctor, or drill the hole to the next up size pin? Just some thoughts. Good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Quote from: jimynick on October 08, 2024, 06:37:29 PMI think we may have a selection of roll pins Murray. I'll ask Nick. Failing that could you peen the pin you have to make it wider and then drive it in with the wide side into the shaft or reluctor, or drill the hole to the next up size pin? Just some thoughts. Good luck!  :cheers:

But they are both a slot, not a full hole. Don't know how you would make the pin stay in the correct position within the slot.
The roll pin is the one with an open slit, not the coiled type. Wondering if I could use a chisel to open up the pin. The trouble is it's 0.10" by less than an inch long, but, where there's a will there's a way. Also thinking I might check out the auto or machinery parts places for a roll pin selection and see if I can find something slightly bigger. In all my years of farming I've had O ring and cotter key assortments but not roll pin.

Mr Lee

Yeah, I was gonna say maybe try to open up the roll pin a bit, like you said. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Cudajason

Or drop by, I have an assortment of roll pins in the shed, I am sure we can find one that fits.

Is this for a BB or SB? 

Anyone know if the roll pins are the same size?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

blown motor

So I tried the chisel trick on the roll pin to expand it. Then I placed it in the slot on the shaft with the slit in the pin facing the shaft on the notion that the pin would be wider 90 degrees each way from the slit and thus have more pressure on the sides of the slot. Then I slid the reluctor wheel down over the pin. Everything seemed to fit tighter than it did originally so I think we might be good. The pin did not move in the shaft slot when I put the reluctor down over it and the reluctor felt snug. Have not run it yet but will tomorrow and hopefully nothing flys apart.

YellowThumper

Quote from: blown motor on Today at 06:13:24 PMSo I tried the chisel trick on the roll pin to expand it. Then I placed it in the slot on the shaft with the slit in the pin facing the shaft on the notion that the pin would be wider 90 degrees each way from the slit and thus have more pressure on the sides of the slot. Then I slid the reluctor wheel down over the pin. Everything seemed to fit tighter than it did originally so I think we might be good. The pin did not move in the shaft slot when I put the reluctor down over it and the reluctor felt snug. Have not run it yet but will tomorrow and hopefully nothing flys apart.
I've used a dab of silicone in the past to keep things from flopping around. My replacement reluctor was loose on shaft.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.