Main Menu

How I roll, (well 40 years ago anyway)

Started by RUNCHARGER, June 04, 2017, 09:40:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

I was looking for photos of my old 71 when a new bluemonster71rt posted his and his Dad's car so I thought I might share a few oldies. It kind of tells where I come from and why I still tend to build my cars in the same old vein as I used to.
I always loved Challengers and Cudas since they came out in fall 69 and finally picked up a 71 R/T in 1976. It was a nicely optioned car and I wish it had been in better shape. 4 speed, 383, deluxe cloth interior. I believe it came from Ontario or Quebec because it was rusted and dented everywhere. Last time I seen it was in the JY and I pulled the rear sway bar out of it. The 383 didn't make it on the street back then so I bought a 67 GTX, 440 4 speed for parts and used the 4 speed out of it as well as building a killer 440 to put the hurt on the local Camaros.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

The body was hurting on the 71 so I hunted down a 70 R/T I knew about that had a much better body. I thought the colour was a bit gay however all I wanted was a clean car. So I bought this one and swapped the killer 440 into it and that kept me happy for awhile. I took the car to get it painted and lucky me, the painter was a big fan of this weird colour and talked me into not changing the colour. I also wanted to swap in a 4 speed and thankfully that didn't happen either.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Really dig those photos.  The 71 side vent with the 70 grille looks cool.  And that's the first time I've ever seen a custom stripe like that.  It's got a slight Chevy feel to it, but I like it.  Really shows the fast forward tilting angle of the front fender.

RUNCHARGER

I street raced the car extensively and put it in a local indoor show. I didn't place and that ticked me off. I had a friend with a really cool 55 PU and he didn't place either, so we were both disheartened and traded vehicles on a whim. Only Ford I ever owned but it was a cool one. This is when we gained our thoughts and traded back. I've never been concerned about winning a show since then, good lesson. Shortly after I traded back I found something I had dreamed about all my life (well since 1964 anyway).
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

What's the big deal about a worn 73 Cuda when you own a cool FM3 R/T you ask? Well this 73 had an engine swap when it was a new car. So I spirited that engine out and swapped it into the Challenger, then more racing ensued. The Challenger was fast, fast back then. I ran it out on top end with 3.23 gears and I raced it with 4.10's and 4.56. It was very quick and feared. It was faster than a lot of dedicated racecars. It would have been much faster with slicks but I think I saved the body by always running street tires and soft pedalling it.
I owned the car 18 years and then found the original 383 for it. I then did the right thing and put it back to stock but then sold it as I like my cars a bit faster than a stock 383. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the story (I tried not to ramble on too much). The car lives on today and has been restored and loved by the current owner.
Sheldon

RUNCHARGER

Cody: Yes, sorry about the poor photo (I need to buy a scanner one of these days), it did have a 71 grille in it. We airbrushed the scallops on after a few beers, I still have NOS black quarter R/T stripes I ordered from the dealer back then for it. I had planned on restoring the blue car but it was in rough shape. Sure wish it was in the backyard today though with everything available these days.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Great stories and some super neat cars.  Glad you traded your cars back.  The Ford truck was cool, but not E-Body cool.   ;)

RUNCHARGER

You bet Cody: My friend built that 55 in the mid 70's and owns it to this day! It had a Chevelle front clip swapped in and a 428 in it. He pulled the tilt steering column out of a 68 Shelby GT500 that was in the junkyard! Funny story, when I owned the Ford I was on a local stretch of road with my girlfriend in my 76 D100. A 74 SD455 pulled beside me and I raced him (I had the truck tuned up a bit), well he packed my lunch for me so we went home and grabbed the Ford. I met up with the SD again and ran him with the Ford and got beat again. I knew my Challenger would have killed that SD so I think that's when I decided to trade back.
There is more to the story of the 73 Cuda too. If anyone recalls the story of the FC7 HemiCuda convt. that was found on an indian reserve in B.C. The engine in the 73 Cuda came from that car. The FC7 HemiCuda blew it's engine when new and the dealer swapped a warranty Hemi into it. That engine was later removed and placed into the tan 73 Cuda when the 73 was new.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

WOW.  Was it this Hemi Cuda?

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 04, 2017, 10:29:04 AM
If anyone recalls the story of the FC7 HemiCuda convt. that was found on an indian reserve in B.C. The engine in the 73 Cuda came from that car.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: That infamous car! I swapped the Hemi into my 70 HemiCuda coupe. Then a friend of mine (and Mr. Sullivan's) traded me a 71 Hemi Charger for my Hemi Coupe to get the engine out of it when they were building the convt. Even though there was no VIN on the block I guess they wanted the engine that the dealership put into the Convt. on warranty.
My HemiCuda is one car I've lost track of. I hope it found a good home too and was properly restored. I restored it but that was before good quarters etc. were available.
Also here's one of Ken's photos of my old Challenger as it sat a few years ago.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Cool story. That's only a few hours away from me!

jimynick

In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Topcat

Some really cool photos. Good Stories.

My buddy in H.S had a 56 truck and he thought his Sh!t didn't stink.
Still felt like an old truck that was under powered.

Woopti do!  :deadhorse:

Rev-It-Up

Thanks for telling your story! I love hearing about all the cars people have had in the past...you have had some great ones!
Rev-It-Up