Main Menu

remove stuck oil pump drive gear LA 340 - SUCCESS!

Started by Dakota, April 12, 2020, 05:48:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

:woohoo: I'm happy to report that a strong "fishing magnet" like the one shown below will work great for pulling a reluctant oil pump gear shaft.   I was 5 out of 5 for pulling it up and out with the magnet after failing to remove it with a clockwise twist of a screwdriver.  I used some string on it to start the pull.   

The magnet is available through eBay for cheap.  There are some that are shipped from China so watch close on the delivery timing. I got mine in 3 days.  The magnet!has a diameter of 1-5/8" which fits easily inside the distributor well.

Two things to be careful about:

1.   The eyelet on mine was loosely threaded into the magnet.  I put some blue Loctite on the threads and tightened it to keep it from coming apart while maneuvering the gear shaft.  It would be a major pain to retrieve this magnet from inside the engine if the eyelet wasn't there.

2.   These magnets are STRONG and will snap quickly onto anything they finds attractive.  This is a great opportunity to get some skin pinched if a finger is partially in the way.  Don't ask me how I know - just look at the last picture. 

JS29

Rich G.

I use my big flat snap ring pliers that I use for spreading the horseshoe clip on the rear parking brake lever. I stick it in the slot the distributor goes in and then as I squeeze it open it holds on tight so I can pull up and twist it right up.