Main Menu

Replacement rear main seal suggestion and tips for success needed

Started by Cudakiller70, August 20, 2019, 10:11:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

Changing out the bell housing and found a thin film of oil inside. Flywheel is out getting resurfaced for new clutch/pressure plate so I am able to get a good look at the rear main and it sure seems to be leaking from there. I've haven't done this before, any install tips would be appreciated.
71 340
Which rear main seal should I get?
Also same for oil pan gasket and install.

Rich G.

The hard part is taking the oil pan off. The seal is very easy. Take the main cap off and walk the top half of the seal out. You usually have to jack the engine up to get the pan out. Not sure if it will come out if you can't.

RUNCHARGER

In my experience the sides usually leak before the actual seal does. I just use Felpro Neoprenes but there's a myriad of miracle fixes out now.
Sheldon

Cudakiller70

Think I'll give this one at Mancini a try. Googled around and others say to clock it so the joints are into the cap and block. Also a very very thin smear on edge of cap along the flywheel side only a 1/4" in.

Rich G.

I go a little past the center so the joint isn't at the ends.

Cudakiller70

I wasn't real sure what to get so I bought a Superformance seal from Mancini and a stock type from Fel-pro. Superformance on the left. I kind of like the stock (on the right) because it has a solid type lip. Superformance lip seems a little limp or soft.