Main Menu

Replacing existing engine mounts process/steps

Started by Fish Tale, March 31, 2021, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Fish Tale

Wanted to run my thoughts on replacing the engine mounts with you guys and make sure I don't miss anything.  This is on a 383 auto.  Radiator/fan/hoses and carb are already out.  Had them rebuilt and ready to be put back on.

I have an engine hoist and will be removing the following to allow the engine to come up high enough to get to the mounts.

1.  Remove transmission mount bolts from crossmember.
2.  Disconnect fuel line going to pump.
3.  Engine mount bolts going through k-member.
4.  May or may not need to disconnect the power steering hoses.

Since the exhaust is on hangers, I think it should come up with the engine/tranny and be okay.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything. Thanks.

Rich G.

Skip all that. Take the long bolt out of the mount. Put a block of wood under the engine and jack it up enough to get the bolts off the mount and slide the mount out. You don't really need to get it up that high.

Cudajason

Quote from: Rich G. on April 01, 2021, 05:29:55 AM
Skip all that. Take the long bolt out of the mount. Put a block of wood under the engine and jack it up enough to get the bolts off the mount and slide the mount out. You don't really need to get it up that high.

:iagree:

I have done that with my small block....twice.

You could use the engine hoist to lift the engine up, but its not necessary.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

I did one mount at a time. Bottle jack with a block of wood on the bolts of the oil pan on the side you want to lift. After one is done, switch to the other side. Oh ya, remove the fan shroud if you have one. Or keep a close eye on it.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Fish Tale

Well see, that's why I wanted to ask you guys to make sure.  That seems way more easier and faster of a process.  Thank you very much.  Will definitely be doing that. 

Thanks again!!!

Strawdawg

Quote from: dodj on April 01, 2021, 05:35:28 AM
I did one mount at a time. Bottle jack with a block of wood on the bolts of the oil pan on the side you want to lift. After one is done, switch to the other side. Oh ya, remove the fan shroud if you have one. Or keep a close eye on it.

Oh ya, remove the fan shroud if you have one. Or keep a close eye on it.

Sage advice :perfect10:
Steve

RUNCHARGER

I've replaced them using an engine hoist and it seems like a great idea. However I find that the legs of the engine hoist get in your way and it's easier to jack the engine up using a bottle jack and small block of wood as stated.
Sheldon