Main Menu

resealing 340 timing cover

Started by b5cuda, March 15, 2020, 03:11:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hi everyone, I've got a leaky seal on my timing cover  ('71 340 motor in my '69 cuda) and wondering whether I will need to drop the oil pan to reseal it properly?  I don't want to make this any more complicated than it needs to be, but I also want to get it done right the first time.  Appreciate any tips you guys have!   

Rich G.

The oil pan bolts to the bottom of the cover and I'm pretty sure you can take the cover off without removing the pan. You probably could get away with putting some silicone sealer on the pan.

jimynick

When you get it off, make sure you clean the area well. A can of brake cleaner works well and rather than silicone, I'd recommend The Right Stuff. It's pricey, but it works. A skin of it on the replacement seal into the timing cover as well wouldn't come amiss either. Check the wear area on the crank and if the seal has worn a groove, you can but a seal saver sleeve that drives over the snout of the crank and provides a new area for the seal to run. Leaks are a PITA, eh?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Those

I did this job twice in the last month. A good bit of gasket sealer is enough on the small area where the bolts come up through from the bottom of the oil pan. The rubber gasket that fits in the front of the oil pan is directional. It has a large rubber nipple on one side and a smaller one on the other. It fits in holes on the top sides of the curved area. One Hole is larger for the larger nipple. Next is the hardest part. The rubber gasket is hard to compress. Start the two bolts from under the oil pan first. Use them to pull the cover down and compress the gasket. Only tighten them enough to line the holes on the cover with the engine block. Hope this helps.

b5cuda

Great advice, very helpful - thanks so much guys!  I pulled the timing cover today and it seems slightly uneven on one side so I think I'll order a replacement.  This is a job I don't want to have to do over any time soon.

Chryco Psycho

Right Stuff gasket maker is expensive but works awesome , you might wan to use that between the cover & oil pan

b5cuda

chargerdon

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 16, 2020, 10:02:55 PM
Right Stuff gasket maker is expensive but works awesome , you might wan to use that between the cover & oil pan

Yep, that is the best way...  Often, when you remove the timing cover the Pan gasket there will rip off.   New Timing chain gaskets usually come with small little gasket pieces to put back...but, i found that leaving those dumb things off and using The Right Stuff gasket sealer works easier and better. 

b5cuda

So you don't recommend using the little rubber gasket piece for the lip of the oil pan, just fill in that gap with sealer?

Chryco Psycho

use the curved rubber  seal across the front but not the corner pan gaskets