Main Menu

rpm reading at a set speed ?

Started by mike price, August 14, 2021, 04:53:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mike price

I am running 255/60R15 on the rear of my barracuda.  At 70 MPH the tach reads 3300 RPM is this high or is it correct ? can not find anyplace to help me answer this question.  Gears in the rear end are unknown assumed they were 3.23's .  if you can answer great or send me to a place to help me answer the question.

SHOULD HAVE SAID THE TRANNY IS A 727 IN THIS 70 BARRACUDA, IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

Thanks in advance Mike

anlauto

In my opinion that sounds high for 3:23's, but without knowing the rear axle gear ratio, you're pretty much in the dark..
...also, a factory tach is not known for it's accuracy :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Your calculated tire size is 27.05 inches in diameter.  Assuming your final transmission gear ratio is 1:1, a 3.91 differential gear would result in turning 3401 rpm at 70 mph which looks pretty close to what's listed in your post.

For a 3.23 differential gear, you'd be at 2810 with the same tire size at 70 mph.

I got this info from a "Tremec Tool Box " app for iPhones.   It's pretty handy.

anlauto

Hey that's pretty cool....He could have 3:55's, what would that result in ? around 3100 ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

rikkitik

HP2

Dakota

Quote from: anlauto on August 14, 2021, 05:49:12 PM
Hey that's pretty cool....He could have 3:55's, what would that result in ? around 3100 ?

3.55 ratio would be 3080 rpm @ 70 mph for this tire size.

7212Mopar

Jack up the rear of the car, trans in neutral and release parking brake. Put a tape on drive shaft as a reference mark. Rotate the tires to see the number of drive shaft rotation vs tire rotation and you can then find out your rear gear ratio. This is the easy way not to have to pull the center section. 3.23 and 3.55 are very close so you have to count carefully and look at driveshaft diameter and angle rotation. 0.23 is less than half while .55 is slightly more than half of a rotation.

Factory tach is usually off and higher due to age. If you have a timing light with RPM readout, you can compare the two readings.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

mike price

Will jack up rear end and see what the count is and post the results. 

Thanks for the help so far..

70vert

Quote from: 7212Mopar on August 15, 2021, 08:38:25 AM
Jack up the rear of the car, trans in neutral and release parking brake. Put a tape on drive shaft as a reference mark. Rotate the tires to see the number of drive shaft rotation vs tire rotation and you can then find out your rear gear ratio. This is the easy way not to have to pull the center section. 3.23 and 3.55 are very close so you have to count carefully and look at driveshaft diameter and angle rotation. 0.23 is less than half while .55 is slightly more than half of a rotation.

Factory tach is usually off and higher due to age. If you have a timing light with RPM readout, you can compare the two readings.

I just did this myself earlier this year, for similar reason. I got a 8.75 rear from a 70 R/T and was told it was a 3.23 year, but seemed to tach a bit higher than I expected. After checking as per above it seems it is a 3.55! I know it is not a huge difference so checked it multiple times to confirm. Not really what I had wanted but guess I'm OK with it for now.

mike price

After checking tire and drive shaft rotation 6 times.  it appears there are 3.23 gears in the rear end.

Guess the tachometer is off as suggested. 

Thanks for the help guys.

Mike