Main Menu

Shaker air filter too high

Started by Ccuda, January 15, 2023, 11:55:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

Was wondering if anyone has any tips or creative ideas how to lower my shaker filter. Number one I have a elder Brock torker 2 intake and a Holly 850 Dbl pumper.
The unit suffered a small Nick in the rear when accelerating hard once and the rubber surround seal gets smashed to within 1/2".
I cut the pan about 1/4" but this is where I'm at right now. Carb hight is 3 1/4" but not sure of stock intake manifold hight compared to The torquer 2. The hood fits welll even though it's AMD.
Hate to ditch the manifold since it's running so well.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Ccuda

71vert340

I measured the carb height with the spacer/gasket that mounts on the intake flange to the flange on carb where the shaker baseplate sits and its 3.5" total. I do not know the carb mounting flange height difference between my stock 340 intake and the Edelbrock T2 intake. You may need to fabricate and weld something to the shaker baseplate to lower it down without interfering with the carb linkage. Good luck. It's been done.
Terry W.

Skdmark

What size engine and which shaker baseplate?
There are different shaker base plates for 340, 383 and 440

https://www.tommythechryco.ca/product-category/shaker-parts/

Floyd is a member here too.
Here is some info he had posted on FEBO for reference
https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/questions-on-440-shaker-base-plate.20618/
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

MoparCarGuy

A lower-cost option is to purchase a fiberglass 4BBL Shaker Base and bond a drop base air cleaner bottom to it. You will be limited on filter height to about 1-3/4" but can use a filter lid like the Xstream from K&N in 14" diameter.
I fabricated this setup for my Cuda so I can run the Edelbrock 440 Performer RPM intake manifold and have the Shaker sit correctly. The drop base that I used was a Moroso in gold anodized that a buddy sold me cheap. That same Moroso air cleaner setup is still made in in Chrome, Black, and Blue plus there are other drop bases on Summit Racing's site. Just search for "drop base air cleaner moroso". You will see they have just the base portion for about $50 from several vendors and the drop height dimension is called out in the specs.
I have had multiple different carburetors including a Thermoquad, an Edelbrock Performer (Carter-style), and currently the Terminator X Stealth EFI throttle body using the Shaker base I fabricated below. All of these worked fine.
Here are some photos from about 2000 showing when I was figuring out what to do to make this setup.

Skdmark

Which shaker base do you have?
The second link I posted above lists the different baseplate heights from bottom of the carb bridge to the throat base.

I had the opposite problem mine sat too low (383 with MP M1 dual plane) and I had to add a spacer to lift my baseplate.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

MoparCarGuy

I bought the fiberglass base from Year One back in 2000. It was $75 then. Year One only has one but that does not matter since you would be cutting out the throat area and bonding the drop base air cleaner bottom to the remaining portion. It looks pretty good once it is all painted black.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/gc100

Racer57

I don't remember which is taller but there's a 1/2" difference in height difference between an 383(hard to find) and 440 base. Also, its a lot easier to measure shaker to hood distance if you remove the hood spring.

Brads70

Daveh

I have a stock 340 shaker baseplate.  I'm using an Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold #21763 and a Edelbrock carb and it fits great on my 340. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-21763

Good luck.

Dave

usraptor

I second Mopar Car guy.  I did the same with my '70 'Cuda factory Shaker hood.  I'm running a Holley Dominator Aluminum intake with a Quickfuel 880 CFM carb. on my 440.  I also bought the fiberglass shaker base and fabricated a Holley drop base air cleaner bottom into it.  I did have to add a 1" carb spacer between the intake and carb to rise the shaker up to the proper height in the hood.  I use the stock Shaker air cleaner lid and filter with this set up. Unfortunately, despite taking thousands of pictures during the restoration I only took one picture of the completed modified fiberglass base plate.

MoparCarGuy

Very nice work on the modded baseplate @usraptor
It appears your drop base was added from underneath, mine was added from the top.
I will take a picture of my modded baseplate the next time I have the Shaker off the car. We know how fun that is to take apart. :bigthumb:

usraptor

Thanks.  Yes, I added it from the bottom, sealed it with The Right Stuff gasket maker and added pop rivets for good measure.

MoparCarGuy

Update with pics...
Used elevator bolts from Lowe's around the drop-base to fiberglass 4BBL baseplate.

BIGSHCLUNK

Been playing with this for years. Current plan is a different base plate that I got 2 years ago. My spirit is willing, but my back is weak.... so its in slo-mo