Main Menu

side-to-side "play" in A833 OD reverse rod - is this normal?

Started by Dakota, April 12, 2022, 06:40:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

Now that the snow is finally gone in our area, I'm going through my list of "to do's" on the Challenger before putting it back on the road for the season.  While I was underneath it today, I became curious about the amount of side-to-side play that I have in the reverse shift rod.   This is on an A833 OD.   At the "elbow" in the rod where it goes under a cross member, I can swing the rod left and right at least 3/4" in each direction from its regular position.  It seems like most of the play is originating from the swivel on the shift head.   Is this normal?

I have had trouble sometimes shifting into reverse, so I was wondering if this might be part of the problem.

Dakota

Dakota

anlauto

I would think that's pretty normal...they always seem to be pretty sloppy.. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

one bad fish

Mine is pretty "sloppy" as well. Probably best to have someone shift it while you can see what's going on under there. Maybe the rod is bent slightly  :dunno:

dodj

Reverse is always a little tough to engage. The slop you see is probably normal. It's why I repositioned my shifter to ensure the 1-2-3-4 rods are straight with no bends. And made my own shift rods. Slop for reverse I can live with. But not with the fwd gears.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I agree the rod will have side play due to the curve it it .