Main Menu

single wire spring Hose Clamps

Started by tparker, July 11, 2023, 01:18:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I bought a pack of these clips supposedly for my car but it seems several area bit small. I'm having a heck of time getting them installed. I'm using channel locks but the clips slip out and go flying into something... my face once. LOL. The jaws geometry changes a bit as they are closing.

For the size. Do the two prongs have to meet or just be close? I would assume close is good enough but at that distance the clamp won't quite fit. It maybe if I can close the clips more, but i usually can't get it that far before they shoot out

Any tips on installing? Any special tool makes it easier or just fuss around with channel locks?

JS29

They do make a tool for that, I have one, But i got it from an old timer. He gave me that and a set of snap-on ball joint sockets.  I don't know if any of the high end tool company's might have them. Or you could ask Roseville, after all they do sell the clamps. :alan2cents:   

1970A-66Challenger

Search online for Corbin hose clamp pliers.  Amazon has multiple offerings.  Definitely the right tool for the job makes them easier to install but can still be a challenge in some positions/orientations.

pschlosser

Is this the one for the heater hoses?  I cannot find that part in the 1970-71 parts book.  If someone knows the part number, please let me know.

Getting the clamp over the hose bulge made by the nipple can be a challenge.

One tip I've used for installing these, is to place the clamp on the hose right where you want it, BEFORE slipping it onto the nipple.  Next, make sure the inner part of the hose and the nipple are slippery.  I use saliva or a squirt bottle with soapy water.  I then have good luck slipping the hose with clamp together into place.  I may need to apply some pressure to the clamp using pliers, but I usually don't need to open the clamp fully.

Rdchallenger

My father who's been an SAE mechanic for 40 years just shook his head when I showed him that I was putting these style clamps on my Challenger. Luckily he still had the correct tool from when they were used more often... He stuck around to watch the show and laugh when I had problems with a few, after a while he felt sorry for me and slipped them on in 30 seconds.

When done, he explained how these hardly went back on the vehicle in favor of the more common screw clamp when a repair was required that they had to be removed and told me I just learned why.  :haha:

Aloha Randy

You can easily get Corbin pliers at Napa, O'Rielly's and Summit to name a few. If you are going to keep that typpe of clamp, you need the priers that are made for them. Very reasonably prices.

Rich G.

You definitely need the right tool but if I remember correctly I think some of the repo kits don't have all the right size clamps.

bdschnei

Spring clamps should be reused whenever possible. I get that they can be difficult to install in some cases but they keep a constant clamping pressure on the hose over the entire circumference of the hose as opposed to the worm screw type which do neither...
Bret

BIGSHCLUNK

I have the "tool" but I think you could make one easy enuff. A die grinder and a good pair of pliers would work I think? I think the tool is home... at the shop now. Other wise I would put up a pick.

benguin

These are indispensable...

anlauto

Once you get them on the hose and you want to slide them in place, use a little lubricant, works wonders....if it's something that needs to be painted after, like a small block by-pass hose, then just use soapy water  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

tparker

Awesome, Thanks all. I thought I was crazy. How hard could it be to put a hose clamp in, right. LOL I see the tools online for $15-$65 or so.

@pschlosser That is an internet pic I downloaded. I got a kit that included a bunch but didn't say what they are. One fits the upper radiator hose, but doesn't seem to fit the lower one. Maybe if I struggle a bit more with the right pliers I'll be able to get them on.

@benguin I saw a pair of pliers designed to removed stripped screws that looked similar to those except the and some 'teeth' in the groove to help grip a screw. Those are on my to buy list. Looks like they might work for this too.

@anlauto Yup, always use a bit of soapy water to get rubber stuff on.

Jay Bee

I mistakenly put the ones meant for the lower hose on the upper. When it came time to replace the lower hose there was no force on heaven or earth that would make the upper clamps go on and I didn't feel like switching them. Luckily a good friend gave me some 34's. The kit I bought was eons ago from Dales Cuda Shop and all the correct ones were in it. I've yet to swap out the bypass hose, last one to do. Here's a picture I can offer. PS: I have the correct tool now after trying over and over with regular pliers.

Jay Bee

Another Corbin pliers picture. Of course the grooves in the jaws are mirror images of each side.

moparroy

Irwin - the vice grip guys - make a good plier set. I think I bought it off Amazon.

I had a hard time to find a pair of clamps for the bypass hose on my 74 360. There is a guy on eBay sells hose with clamps and they worked.