Main Menu

Slap Shifter Question

Started by money pit, June 08, 2021, 09:42:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

money pit

I have a 70 Barracuda with a 360 engine and 727 trans. I had the trans rebuilt but I installed the trans and shift linkage. I have a question regarding the shifter position. When I'm in park I have to press the button on the shifter to go into reverse. But from reverse to neutral, to drive I don't have to press the shifter button. I do need to press the button on the shifter to go from drive to second or first. Going in the opposite direction. I can go from first, to second, then to drive.  If I'm in drive I can go from drive to neutral, but not from neutral to reverse. Is this operation of the trans normal?

The second question is regarding adjusting the linkage. The car has always had the problem of intermittently not starting in park or neutral. I replaced the neutral safety switch a couple of months ago. Up until a few days ago I was able to start the car in park or neutral. Now it will start in neutral but not park. I was reading another thread that suggested the linkage may need to be adjusted. If I turn the key and move the shifter the car will start. From the park to reverse position, the indicator is half way between park and reverse. When I shift to drive, the indicator is not quite on the "D." Is there a procedure for adjusting the linkage?  Thanks

Cuda Cody

Do you have the steering column lockout hooked up (assuming you have the correct 1970 column)?

Burdar

Sounds like the shifter is working correctly.  Push the button to go from Park to Reverse.  You should be able to pull the shifter back into Drive but not back to Second or First.

Push the button to go back to 1st gear.  Then the "Slap Stick" comes into play.  Just slap the shifter into second...let go of the handle...then slap it into Drive.  You will not be able to go into Neutral unless you hit the button again.

money pit

I don't have the steering column lock out connected. This was originally a six cyl. Would the linkage be the same?  Thanks

money pit