Main Menu

slap stick

Started by chargerdon, January 26, 2020, 12:28:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

Anybody know of a way to MODIFY a standard floor shifter to act like a slap stick shifter?   

screamindriver

Not really sure what you're asking..The standard E body automatic floor shifter is a slap stick.. The gate will only allow single upshifts from the first gear position..

Cuda Cody

JS29

:iagree: X2, how ever I believe it was @kawahonda that had one that didn't function, And I think it was  @1wildRT that looked at it for him.  :alan2cents:

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

....didn't they stop the "slap stick" for the 1974 model ? some reason I recall there are E Body shifters out there with out the words "Slap stick" on the lens  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I bought a new 1975 Road Runner and it had the slap stick, however the lens did not have the slap stick lettering.
Sheldon

chargerdon

Don't want to argue, but, mine (74 Challenger) does NOT have the lettering slap stick on it, AND it does not have that function.   I have seen pictures of many without the lettering.  So, at least for 74 it did not come standard on floor shifts.

So, assuming it wasn't standard, is there a way to modify the standard shifter to act like a slap stick?   I.e when pulled back into first, and give it a push and it will only go 1 gear to second, then the next push going into drive/3 with no chance of going into neutral. 

Really, it cant be all that difficult !!

dodj

The shifter I have for my car when it was auto is from '74 and is a slap stick.....
Just curious, perhaps you have a malfunctioning slap stick?  :dunno:
Maybe post up a pic of the current shifter? I've never seen a non-slap stick ebody shifter.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

PLY474

Chargerdon,
What month was your 74 built and which shifter handle type do you have?  Do you think the parts are original?
I have heard that later 74's came with the knob and button type shifter only, rather than T-Handle.
I'm wondering if an end-of-production handle change coincides with the non slap stick issue?
I have a 1974 318 Cuda, built in October, with a T-Handle, No Slap Stick wording, but operates like a Slap Stick.

three two barrels

The A body floor shifters do not ratchet so is there a chance your car had its shifter swapped out at some point?

chargerdon

Quote from: three two barrels on January 27, 2020, 09:49:40 PM
The A body floor shifters do not ratchet so is there a chance your car had its shifter swapped out at some point?

Vin number is JH23G4B141231  Shifter handle is the Ball type...
Car has passed thru many hands...so anything is possible...  the 904 transmission was swapped at one time, cause it is actually a 68...  now i just finishing putting in A518

Hmmmm   I have the original owners manual (not in good condition), but, it does describe what it calls "quick shift mechanism" which description is slap stick but not calling it that.   So maybe its time for me to take out the shifter and give it a good cleaning and lubricating.   I'm definitely NOT getting the ratcheting effect.  Also, on mine to shift from Neutral to D i have to depress the button...  book says you don't have to..   

dodj

The 74 slap stick shifter I have is the ball type handle. Just FYI.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bullitt-

Check that there's a small spring on the left side of shifter holding tension on the ratchet....
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

318Stroker

Quote from: anlauto on January 27, 2020, 07:38:57 AM
....didn't they stop the "slap stick" for the 1974 model ? some reason I recall there are E Body shifters out there with out the words "Slap stick" on the lens  :thinking:

They may have deleted the "slap stick" wording on some of the shifters, but all 70-74 E-body floor shift automatics were slap sticks. Depending on year, and running parts changes, they were either ball or t-handle.