Main Menu

Slapstick shifter recommendation

Started by headejm, August 14, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

Looking for a recommendation for my tired 1970 slapstick shifter. I guess after 52 years it's time for a new one. I assume they can't be rebuilt or adjusted because of the way they are riveted together? Is that a correct assumption?

Are all aftermarket shifters created equal? One better than the rest or are they all the same? Thanks!

57Fury440

There are several different types of shifters available from the aftermarket. Depending how you use the car some are better for the street, and some are better for the track. I would buy a used slapstick in good condition and keep it stock.

headejm

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm asking only about factory OEM shifters.

anlauto

I think PG Classics is the only place making them, and lots of retailers are selling their products. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

318Stroker

Quote from: headejm on August 14, 2022, 06:22:26 PM
Looking for a recommendation for my tired 1970 slapstick shifter. I guess after 52 years it's time for a new one. I assume they can't be rebuilt or adjusted because of the way they are riveted together? Is that a correct assumption?

Are all aftermarket shifters created equal? One better than the rest or are they all the same? Thanks!

What's wrong with yours? Does it not lock into each gear when you slap it? If so, probably just needs a good cleaning. Mine was misbehaving until I cleaned out 40 years of dust, hair and general grime from the innards. Works fine now.

moreparts

Quote from: 318Stroker on August 15, 2022, 07:34:14 AM
Quote from: headejm on August 14, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

What's wrong with yours? Does it not lock into each gear when you slap it? If so, probably just needs a good cleaning. Mine was misbehaving until I cleaned out 40 years of dust, hair and general grime from the innards. Works fine now.

Mine had some problems too at one point, but replacing all the linkage bushing under the car solved all that too.

HP_Cuda

You can definitely get a rebuild kit for yours and do it yourself!

:banana:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

headejm

Quote from: HP_Cuda on August 15, 2022, 01:45:39 PM

You can definitely get a rebuild kit for yours and do it yourself!

:banana:

@HP_Cuda

Do you know who sells a rebuild kit?

HP_Cuda

Since I like Brewers so much:

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.php?cat=132

Wayne is a great guy and is very knowledgeable.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200