Main Menu

Strange noise at acceleration and cornering

Started by TelisSE440, March 07, 2019, 04:08:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TelisSE440

Hi guys. I place the question in this section, although i don't know if the problem is of this nature. Anyway i went for a cruise in my Challenger and i noticed a rattling sound when i was accelerating (straight) from stop, if i accelerate slowly no sound. The same sound is heard when i corner sharp (accelerating slowly in junctions and decelerating going up steep roads) . All of the above happen between 3-10 mph and then disappear. Does anyone make something out of this? Thanks guys in advance...

JonH

Need more info describing rattling...could it be in the exhaust? A baffle loose in a muffler. Or is it in the suspension or driveline?...

TelisSE440

The exhaust was the first thing that came to mind JonH, i went under and checked it some days ago when engine was at idle, no hitting parts and everything was tight.

As for the rattling sound, i don't feel something rattling. i just hear a fast progressive sound of something like a mallet, hitting a strong part, like the differential case or the transmission case, well that's how it comes to my ears anyway....

Chryco Psycho

Could be a U joint starting to go away
Heat shields tight ?

jimynick

I suspect that sometimes the Sure Grip unit in my car makes clanking noises when low speed cornering/backing up and I ascribe it to the cone unit grabbing. I've bought some posi additive but haven't added it yet and you may want to check yours. The doing it when cornering and at low speed makes me suspect that. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

Sure grip should not make noise in a straight line unless one of the tires is spinning

TelisSE440

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 07, 2019, 05:19:27 PM
Could be a U joint starting to go away
Heat shields tight ?

The back U-Joint is a closed conversion unit that was almost stuck in the shaft. I put it like this and next time i pulled the shaft off, it was freely moving, maybe that's all she wrote after this... Im' guessing i won't see anything at this time, just have to wait

As for the heat shields, i'm using an aftermarket exhaust system and i don't have them on...

TelisSE440

Quote from: jimynick on March 07, 2019, 05:35:38 PM
I suspect that sometimes the Sure Grip unit in my car makes clanking noises when low speed cornering/backing up and I ascribe it to the cone unit grabbing. I've bought some posi additive but haven't added it yet and you may want to check yours. The doing it when cornering and at low speed makes me suspect that. Just my  :alan2cents:

I do have a 489 cone type suregrip. I have put the additive and oil back in 2014. The car must have seen about 2500 miles since then, no super hard acceleration, no funny stuff, nothing. Although i have seen in the begining sputter oil out of the axle, from the breather. I guess that's normal...

Katfish

Rich G.

Hopefully it's not a rod knock! I had a heat riser rattle that I only heard at low speed.

YellowThumper

Check to confirm the rubber insulators are still there on your leaf spring clamp brackets.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill