Main Menu

Speedometer gear replacement

Started by edison1970, September 14, 2020, 05:21:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

edison1970

I ordered a new speedometer gear earlier this year because my speedometer was reading 10 mph over the actual speed.  I  was thinking it had the incorrect number of teeth.  Took the gear out tonight and it's the same one that I figured I needed. 27 inch wheel diameter,  323 gear.  (P255/60 R15)  It has a 32 tooth gear. Should I go to the 31?

Chryco Psycho

Is it 10 MPH over at all speeds ? If so the speedo gauge maybe the problem not the gear .
For example if you are 6 mph out @ 60 & 10 MPH out at 100 then you are off by 10% so change the amount of teeth by 10%

edison1970

It seems to be 10 mph across the board.  At 55 on the speedometer,  I'm actually doing 45. I checked it on my phone gps.

Chryco Psycho

sssssssssso I would suspect the speedo head , it might just need cleaning & lube

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 14, 2020, 05:53:18 PM
sssssssssso I would suspect the speedo head , it might just need cleaning & lube

@Chryco Psycho - can you provide any direction on how to go about doing that, or is it something better left for a pro?

Burdar

To the OP...

While out on the road, use the mile markers to check your odometer.  If your odometer is reading correctly, then your speedo gear is correct.

Chryco Psycho

You would need to pull the gauges & remove the speedo from there it is not hard to clean it & lube the moving parts , you need a light oil like a sewing machine oil or a thin synthetic