Main Menu

Stalling in gear

Started by Hood, August 06, 2023, 08:38:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Hood

Today I spent a couple of hours troubleshooting.  Pulled the plugs and cleaned them. They were in really good shape. Checked for vacuum leaks and I didn't find any.

Went for a drive and it ran great. Came home and it started to stumble slightly in park. And then stalled when put into Drive. I turned up the idle to around 900-950 rpms from about 800 rpms. The higher curb idle cleared up the stalling issue....so far.

I think I have some compromised fuel.  So my next move is to add some dry gas to the tank eventhough I use Stabil every fall.

I sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the carb while running and also used small puffs of compressed air into the carb vent stacks and through the fuel line going into carb. 

My mission is to burn through the remaining tank of gas, and hopefully my stalling will cease.
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972

dodj

Quote from: Hood on August 14, 2023, 07:55:08 PM

My mission is to burn through the remaining tank of gas, and hopefully my stalling will cease.
These cars are custom built for that kind of mission...lol
I have trouble keeping the tank filled.....
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Hood

Well it turns out that the Sta-bil that I have been using is from 2017 when I first bought it. Lesson learned on checking the expiration dates. It's safe to say that my fuel is un-stable!

I poured in a bottle of Royal Purple max clean and my stalling issues have been solved. This stuff worked very quickly.

So once I run this tank of old fuel down, should I consider using ethanol free gas? I usually use premium and I know that it contains ethanol.

I will be sure to use Sta-bil that is freshly dated and to buy only the smaller size verses the 32 ounce size.  Out dated sta-bil is not effective.

RUNCHARGER

Wow! Thanks for posting the follow up. I'm going to have to start using that stuff now that our govt. mandated ethanol in all our fuels including our previously "pure" 94.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

A good reason for giving all pertinent info from the start.
After six months and sometimes sooner, modern fuels are kaput.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Mrbill426

That is a good point; I am not so sure mine is all that "fresh" either.  Guess I will be doing some driving to burn through some (maybe) stabilized fuel.

Quote from: Hood on August 21, 2023, 07:07:07 AM
Well it turns out that the Sta-bil that I have been using is from 2017 when I first bought it. Lesson learned on checking the expiration dates. It's safe to say that my fuel is un-stable!

I poured in a bottle of Royal Purple max clean and my stalling issues have been solved. This stuff worked very quickly.

So once I run this tank of old fuel down, should I consider using ethanol free gas? I usually use premium and I know that it contains ethanol.

I will be sure to use Sta-bil that is freshly dated and to buy only the smaller size verses the 32 ounce size.  Out dated sta-bil is not effective.

Fern

Picking the right stabilizer is difficult. I did a lot of research and it's always different form one source to another. I like star tron for an every day driver, it's supposed to lubricate the fuel system and remove water and good for storage. Sta- bil is supposed to be better for long term storage. But who knows?

Hood

I'm still a fan of Sta-bil. But in my case it wasn't any good after the 2nd year of opening it. Sta-bil is good for 2 years.

My bottle of sta-bil was seven years old. So for the last five years I wasn't stabilizing my fuel during winter storage. It's a miracle my car even started and ran.

Summary....Don't buy Sta-bil in a quantity that you can't use up in two years. And if you have too much left over, dump it into your daily driver.