Main Menu

Starter problems...cracked/welded alum bell housing

Started by Cudakiller70, January 27, 2018, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudakiller70

340 4 speed
I found a crack/weld repair on the aluminum bell housing, the repair is around the starter area.
Found this while looking at why starter was not releasing quick enough after engine start up, you could hear a slight grinding noise.
I'm thinking the repair isn't quite right and the starter position is off just enough to delay release.
Tried 3 starters all same results of not releasing quick enough.
Is this type of starter issue common at all? If so what's the fix?
Wondering what you guys think of a repaired bell housing? Ok run it no big deal?
Replace bell housing with Scatter shield?
Any and all thoughts welcome.

cudabob496

72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

RUNCHARGER

That could easily be a problem and those bellhousings are easy to find.
Sheldon

anlauto

Brewers Performance can likely help you out with a bell housing in the $300 range :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Probably the gear mesh is too tight & the drive cannot slide out of the ring gear quickly , possibly die grinding the cup for the nose of the starter cast into the housing slightly away from the ring gear would solve the issue . otherwise replacing the belhousing

Cudakiller70

I'll try grinding the nose cone and looking at getting a tad more room away from the flywheel.
Thank you for your help everyone  :bigthumb:

dodj

Too bad you are not closer....or even inthe same country..lol I have three bell housings on the shelf with an inch of dust on them.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill