Main Menu

noise under mid-hard acceleration 71 340 cuda

Started by culp71, August 21, 2020, 06:37:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Glad you got it sorted! :woohoo:

Wonder if the magnetic pickup in your old unit was maybe shot?

I'm still chasing pinging under load, pretty sure I'm not dealing with detonation as I've retarded the all in timing as far back as 28~30 and it had no effect on the pinging under load.

Ping really sounds like lack of advance but I've advanced the timing up to 38 & just a c-hair shy of 40 all in.. still pings.

I'm really at a loss here.. carb and ignition seem to be operating as they should verified with timing light and AFR gauge.

Engine was a pretty mild build.. don't think too much compression is the issue but I tried some octane boost on a full tank of 91 anyway and it still pings.

Pulled a plug last night and it looks normal. I'm running E2's, first time I've ever used them. Going to pick up a set of regular plugs and install them tonight.

Got up under it this weekend and verified no exhaust leaks from the head to the tailpipe.

I'm really tossing darts at a board at this point. 

Aside from the under load ping.. engine is running otherwise fine. Did not notice the ping until I installed the new shorty headers and exhaust. Starting to wonder if maybe it's just the "new" exhaust note?

:notsure:

culp71

so, I check my spark plugs and find no trace of any metallic pieces, I also checked and changed oil and found no metal metallic shard at all, engine sounds fine and runs decently with no other new noise.

Is there anything else I should check, change or be concerned with having the knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging in the past?

Scooter

Quote from: culp71 on September 15, 2020, 09:37:21 AM
so, I check my spark plugs and find no trace of any metallic pieces, I also checked and changed oil and found no metal metallic shard at all, engine sounds fine and runs decently with no other new noise.

Is there anything else I should check, change or be concerned with having the knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging in the past?

Usually the spark plugs tell the tale.

If the plugs appear fine and the engine runs normally now, you are likely in good shape.

:bigthumb:

On a related note... I have that same Summit Dizzy and similar "ping" I've been chasing on acceleration in my car.

Replacement dizzy is on the way this week.

culp71

thanks.

I sure hope your replacement distributor takes care of your ping issue.
no worse feeling then knowing something you put so much time into is not operating correctly.