Main Menu

What is this noise?

Started by Poolshark314, June 20, 2021, 09:35:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Poolshark314

WARNING: Turn your volume down before listening

Went out for a drive this morning and it started happening on the way home while sitting at a light. Could this be a belt or a pulley? It's crazy loud! I pulled the PCV valve out and cleaned it in case it was that but doesn't seem to be. The only thing I have done recently is put a carb spacer and heat shield in last week. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

https://youtu.be/lKO7BJKMOQM

https://youtu.be/heD8SBh1VbU

https://youtu.be/sP1I1_kpjRQ
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

B5fourspeed

Take the belts off and then start the car.

anlauto

Sounds like a vacuum leak....but I'm leaning more towards a bad bearing in the AC compressor maybe ...I agree, pop the belts off .. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Dakota

Wow that's nasty. I've never heard a noise like that before. 

Have you tried using one of the auto stethoscopes?   They're great at narrowing down the source of the sound.   The one shown below is about $12 at AutoZone.

Bullitt-

Had a metal transmission line that got against a pulley once that made a heck of a racket
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Jay Bee

I once had a terrible whine like that right after the base plate of my Holly 600 cracked from being over tightened. Since you were working in that area a vacuum leak could be possible.

It'd be interesting to hear what happens with the belts off.

Purepony

Does it get louder or faster when you accelerate or decel?

That's an odd whine. I've never seen or heard of anything like that before. Please report when you find a solution. I'd start with the belts off too

Poolshark314

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! I had to go to the in-laws for a while so didn't get a chance to poke around yet. @Dakota thanks for the suggestion, i'll grab one of those!

I can see the 2 bolts to loosen and slide the alternator for the 2 belts on the back, but what's the process for pulling the belt off the power steering/fan combo?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Chryco Psycho

Sounds a lot like when yu put a blade of grass between your thumbs & blow , are you sure the new cool carb spacer is sealed ?

anlauto

Listening again, it does sound like a massive vacuum leak, but kind of strange it started all of a sudden unless you can see something obviously broken around the carb  :dunno:

For sure report back to us  :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

I am surprised that you can't tell if it is in the location of the belt driven parts or near the carb without any special tools, just your ears should be able to do that. We only get "mono" sound on your video not stereo.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

SgtSuperbird

Cast my vote for a vacuum leak.

Poolshark314

Quote from: MoparLeo on June 21, 2021, 12:49:10 AM
I am surprised that you can't tell if it is in the location of the belt driven parts or near the carb without any special tools, just your ears should be able to do that. We only get "mono" sound on your video not stereo.

It's pretty loud in there from any part of the compartment, so not so easy to tell.

I had a minute to look at it and as I was loosening the carb nuts, I noticed the studs were backing out with them, so wondering if that is the issue. I am going to put some loctite on the studs and put them back in, doing the same on the nuts later.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Brads70

[/quote]

It's pretty loud in there from any part of the compartment, so not so easy to tell.

I had a minute to look at it and as I was loosening the carb nuts, I noticed the studs were backing out with them
[/quote]

I wonder if the studs are too long and you bottomed out on the threads before the carb was tight?  :notsure:

Poolshark314

Quote from: Brads70 on June 21, 2021, 11:38:22 AM

I had a minute to look at it and as I was loosening the carb nuts, I noticed the studs were backing out with them
[/quote]

I wonder if the studs are too long and you bottomed out on the threads before the carb was tight?  :notsure:
[/quote]

Good thought Brad but they were okay at 3" and then I have since swapped them down to 2" studs
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD