Main Menu

This pipe threading simply doesn't give!

Started by kawahonda, July 04, 2019, 11:18:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Holy moly, this thing is IN there.

PB blasted it for 7 days.

Pipe wrenched the crap out of it.

Used a heat gun to heat up the surrounding aluminum.

I hate to give up, but I'm thinking a machine shop could make quick work of this.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

1 Wild R/T

Machine shop, torch, either will work... But sometimes the smart thing is to dress the rough edges & leave it alone... Pipe nipples have worked fine for that location since the 60's...

kawahonda

I already squished it a little bit. She's gonna have to come out now!

1 Wild R/T

Sometimes you can take a die grinder & carve a groove, then collapse the nipple..  It can also be done with a hacksaw blade or a sawzall...  Just be careful not to damage the threads in the manifold..

edison1970

Use a benzo torch. Heat the aluminum only the best you can. When that pretty orange paint turns brown, start twisting it..

JS29

Quote from: edison1970 on July 04, 2019, 11:51:11 AM
Use a benzo torch. Heat the aluminum only the best you can. When that pretty orange paint turns brown, start twisting it..
Some one told me that aluminum contracts when heated, I don't know how true that is. I have done the spiting thing. just have to be patient, take your time and focus.  :alan2cents: 

Brads70

I've had good results heating up the outside ( aluminum in this case) then use a simple dollar store birthday candle to melt some wax in the threads. Sometimes ya get lucky....

1 Wild R/T

This job is allot like the leaking freeze plug, you can pay a shop or you can fight it & learn something...  I've always fought & always won... And even though I'm getting older I still win, cause I've learned....  Then again some folks say I'm cheap & they would rather pay someone...  Trouble is if nobody wants to learn the tricks someday there won't be anyone you can pay to do it either...

Oh, another method that can be very effective, weld a nut to the end of the nipple... Then while the nipple is still hot grab a wrench & turn the nipple out...

And while I agree with Brad heat should be applied to the intake to cause it to expand and the dripped candle wax can help for some reason heating the pipe nipple when welding a big nut on also helps...

kawahonda

It would be far easier if the intake was actually bolted down. :(

gzig5

Just did this yesterday on the LD4B I recently replaced.  In this case it was the heater outlet.  Would not come loose for love or money and it collapsed under the wrench so most of it got cut off.   Used the reciprocating air saw to groove the inside in three spots until it was just kissing the aluminum threads.  Then used a 1/4" cold chisel to collapse it into the hole.  Pretty much the same way I got the lower control arm bushing case out of the arm.  The more grooves you make the better.   If you go all the way through it will fall out in chunks. The threads will clean up with a tap or make a chaser tap out of a fresh pipe nipple by filing grooves in the threads.  Pipe thread compound will seal any remaining groove up.  I'm getting ready to start on the big one now and I'm not even going to put a wrench on it until I've got the fitting scored.

73_Cuda_4_Me

Also, it helps if you put something inside the fitting to keep it from crushing under the pipe wrench, like a deep-well socket that just slides inside it....

I used a die grinder on mine when I replaced it... hog a narrow cut inside lengthwise, then a big hammer and chisel to fold it in on itself...

The pipe sealant the factory used sets up like cement, and heating/pipe wrench/wax, etc... did not work, so that was the only option available for me, as I have no welder...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Dakota

Quote from: Brads70 on July 04, 2019, 12:07:59 PM
I've had good results heating up the outside ( aluminum in this case) then use a simple dollar store birthday candle to melt some wax in the threads. Sometimes ya get lucky....

:iagree: I used the candle wax approach to free up a stuck carb stud.  It took a couple of cycles to get enough wax in, but it eventually came out in one piece. 

GoodysGotaCuda

I'd be tempted to drill through it big enough to slide a 3/8" extension in there, then hammer or air hammer the extension to try to loosen it.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

Bolt the manifold down, Weld a nut on the end of the fitting. Hit the wrench with a hammer to jar it (yes right after welding the nut on to utilize the heat). Aluminum and iron don't play well together.
Sheldon

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration