Main Menu

Throttle plate hole

Started by Chryco Psycho, May 16, 2018, 10:58:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

How long ago did you buy it ?
Can you return it , sounds like someone bought it swapped the carb & returned it with a bad carb in place as it is not marked correctly , who know what might have been messed with internally !

GY3R/T

Chryco Psycho.  Are you saying to add these holes on low vacume engines or to enlarge the hole?
    Because most (if not all) of my holleys have that hole on primary throttle plates from factory,even two BBL's.

Chryco Psycho

if you cannot get the idle working correctly you may have to add or enlarge the holes , not all carbs have them

Priesty

Quote from: Strawdawg on May 17, 2018, 05:59:11 AM
Normally, when one refuses to idle down, I think of a large air leak.  It could be between the base and the body, or the metering blocks are not sealing to the body due to loose bowl bolts, bad gaskets, or warpage from over tightening.  And, the simplest of all, the manifold vacuum port  is not capped off when the vacuum advance is disconnected :)  Some insist on capping the wrong end of the tube....

In your case, it almost sounds like the idle circuits are not supplying any fuel and you are having to open the blades and run it off the main circuit.  I am wondering if one of the passages was not drilled all the way thru or one of the idle fuel tubes has some debris in it?  You may try blowing some carb cleaner thru the various passages and see if it comes out on the other side.

Something seems contradictory in your description but I have learned that sometimes things are contradictory and it makes troubleshooting even more fun.

I would not be surprised if you got a returned carb altho they normally should smell like gas when you get one...
Thanks for reply Strawdog,
I thought vac leak as well, but half a can of aerostart sprayed all over top end says otherwise. I did remove the bowls & blow air through all the holes in both metering blocks, replaced power valve & checked both base gskts for obvious leaks (carb sits on phenolic spacer). Even did leakdown test on brake booster & changed pcv valve, no evidence of leaks. Is 17-19hg of vacuum at idle too high ? Cam is very mild so would expect similar to stock vac number.

@Chryco Psycho, probably too late for return now as I've had carb over 6 months. I did contact the seller about the anomalous decals on the bowls, but he responded that it was probably just a Proform error, nothing to worry about.
Might revert to the eddy, just a lot more sluggish up top, but no bog or idle issues. :dunno:
Cheers....
Steve.
72 BS23 E55 'Cuda, Lemon twist.
Seaworks HDR by steve, on Flickr

Chryco Psycho

I would check directly with Proform , you should have a 1 year warranty , customer service might look after you

Strawdawg

19" is good.My guess is a plugged idle fuel passage, but guesses are worth what you pay for them and I would be afraid to charge for this one.

I think Neil is correct, contact Proform directly and pray

I suspect if you had another one to try, it would work fine
Steve

Priesty

Thanks for the input guys.

cheers.....
Steve.
Cheers....
Steve.

Strawdawg

I lived in Australia for a couple of years long ago and I have never understood why it is relatively cheap to mail/ship stuff out of Hong Kong, China, etc without much hassle, but, getting stuff in and out of Australia is such a bummer.
Steve

Priesty

Yeah it can be painful, especially with the $AU bottoming out against $US.
Luckily I bought the car at about 96c to the dollar in 2014, I wouldn't wanna do it now.
Cheers....
Steve.